Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Hi, you have a very pretty girl. You should have a solid surface wheel in there for her, they run for miles at night. Also, I can't tell what kind of food you're feeding? Any commercial hedgehog food isn't good for them. Aquariums are not really good for hedgies because they have poor ventilation.

Welcome to HHC

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I agree with LG's comments on your post about your hedgehog not eating...

Aquariums aren't the best cage to use for a hedgehog. There's not enough air flow allowed, even with the top open, and it can get too much moisture down at the bottom. It's not healthy for the hedgehog. You could look into making a C&C cage, they're relatively cheap for a cost-to-size ratio, and it's not too hard to make one. If you do a search for them in the forums, or look at the cage example thread in the housing section, you'll get lots of ideas on how to make one.

The wooden hide out isn't dangerous, necessarily, but wood harbors mites, and it'd be hard to clean.

Also, hedgehogs need either a wheel in their cage, or a very large cage to give them room to run around. Good wheels that you can buy in a pet store would be a Flying Saucer or a Comfort wheel. Make sure that you get the 12" size of either. If you like projects, you could make a bucket wheel, I believe a search of those would turn up instructions for how to make one. If you don't mind the cost, caketop wheels are the best, IMO, and there are a couple of people on here that sell them. You can find those posts in the toys section, I believe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with all the things said about a wheel needed, better food, more room/ better cage. Also most people prefer fleece to shavings as it is better for a hedgie and cheaper in the long run. I would also like to mention that you kept saying she is mad and angry and mean. She is not. She is terrified! Wouldn't you be if a strange someone more then 100 times your size tried to pick you up? I would be doing more then huffing and scratching! So maybe keep that in mind when dealing with her and when showing her to people. It gives the wrong impression and will reflect in handling.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Welcome to HHC, you have a beautiful hedgehog :)
I put some opinions below on things you may want to change for your set up
Aquariums aren't recommended because they have poor ventillation and in cases where an aquarium is used you would need one around the 90 gallon range to offer the floor space needed for a hedgie. In the housing section you can see a bunch of different cage set ups. Wire topped plastic bottomed cages are the recommended with at a minimum of 2 square feet after all the accessories are put in. It seems though like the average is probably closer to at least 4 square feet.

You'll want to make sure your hedgie has 12-14 hours of light a day and that he's warm enough (an average is around 75 give or take a few degrees. You may already be doing this but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case :)

Commercial Hedgie food usually doesn't have enough nutrional value and a lot of ppl have found that they do better on a 2-3 different cat food mix. There is a recommended cat food list on here along with ways to slowly incorporate new foods. Seems like a lot of hedgies like Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck if you are wanting a starting place since it is a long list :)

You'll definately want to get a wheel. She might not run on it right away but a lot of times they will run on it at night when no one is around. Cake cover wheels are a popular kind but whatever one you choose you will want to make sure it has a solid bottom, that its big enough and that there is no crossbars.

Fleece is the perferred bedding over shavings. Some of the benefits over the shavings is no dust to mess with their respiratory system, it doesn't harbor mites, and its a one time investment. It also seems not to dry and irritate their skin as much since hedgies tend to have dry skin to begin with.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts