Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am now reading up on shampoos (or NOT shampoos! :eek: ) and this morning before we left the house, I gave humphrey a well needed bath. I used baby shampoo (I know now, that's no good!).

We were at a high school today teaching kids about exotic animals, and after a while I noticed that Humphrey had some "crust" between his skin, and his quills, on his forehead.

Could this be because I dried out poor Humphrey's skin?
Or could it be from the stress of meeting SO many kids in one day?
Or do I need a vet visit to check him out?

I ask mainly because it coincided with the bath (and the BAD shampoo) :roll:

Second part of the question:
Should I do an Aveeno bath now?
Try a plain water bath?
or just DON'T bathe him for a while?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's possible the shampoo dried out his skin but I used it at first with Quigley too (oops!) and there was never a really noticeable issue. Maybe he already had dry skin. You could take him to the vet for tests to rule out some sort of skin infection. If he's itchy and not quilling you might want to get some revolution to treat him for mites just in case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Would mites (or dry skin either) ever show the skin "crusty"? I'll be getting the Aveeno bath tomorrow, and see if i can give him some relief. Then, if it doesn't improve, he's coming to the vet w/ me Monday morning.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've seen some pics where the hedgehog was noticably crusty with mites but there is times that they don't show symptoms besides being itchy. If you just noticed it the other day though its very possible that the shampoo dried it out or that maybe when rinsing some stayed on his skin. I'd try giving him an Aveeno or Oatmeal bath because those can do wonders on their skin. If that doesn't work at least it will be ruled out as a possibilty. Hope he feels better and don't feel bad because everyone makes mistakes, the important thing is you are doing something as soon as you realized :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts