Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I've had my 3 mo Pierogi for three weeks now. I feed him Chicken Soup for the Soul Cat Food, dried mealworms; rehydrated, and canned meal and super worms. I've tried giving him canned snail, cricket, and pupae but so far he's only liked worms. I'm going to start farming mealworms soon, but my question is: is just mealworms and cat food going to be nutritional enough? Is the cat food brand I chose healthy enough? Thanks a bunch! Hedgehog tax below 👇💕
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Green Vertebrate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. I've had my 3 mo Pierogi for three weeks now. I feed him Chicken Soup for the Soul Cat Food, dried mealworms; rehydrated, and canned meal and super worms. I've tried giving him canned snail, cricket, and pupae but so far he's only liked worms. I'm going to start farming mealworms soon, but my question is: is just mealworms and cat food going to be nutritional enough? Is the cat food brand I chose healthy enough? Thanks a bunch! Hedgehog tax below 👇💕 View attachment 96127
I thought that Id let you know that mealworms are not good for hedgehogs. They have found that mealworms are high in phospate and when given to hedgehogs in high quantities it has been shown to cause the calcium in their bones to be drawn out into their bloodstream to counter the high levels of phosphate in the mealworms. This can cause them severe joint pain and weaken the bones and cause fractures/broken bones. It can cause them to lose the ability to bare their weight on their legs and immobility. If your hedgie a been on consistent diet of mealworms you may want to consult your vet and have an x-ray done to see if there's an bone weakening. If there is and its caught early if can be treated and they can recover. However, if its not there isnt any treatment to reverse it. Im only telling you because I didnt know this either. I was always told they could have mealworms. Im lucky to have an amazing vet and he told me never feed then dried insects they have almost zero nutritional value and dont feed them mealworms as a regular part of their meal. If you want to give them here and there's no harm but not on a regular basis.

I feed mine hedgehog food that is formulated for hedgies. It does have some dried insects but they are gut filled with nutrient. Im take out as much as I can. But the dry food is a good source of nutrition and helps keep Clementine's teeth clean. I also give her gut filled live waxworms, and crickets. Also, once every weel to 10days I will give her a couple pinkies that I buy frozen from the pet store. Once a week i boil water and crack an egg in it and let the egg cook to where the white are done but the yoke is still runny. Another reason I like the dry food specifically for hedgehogs is the pieces are smaller than cat food. They have such tiny little mouths it easier for them too chew it up.

I hope this helps...and you and your prickly little one have lots of fun together for many many days to come.

MaryLee & Clementine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts