Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okayy i am a new hedgie owner and i haven't really found anything about this. My hedgie only has one ear and it doesnt seem to be effecting him...but being a new owner i was wonder whether or not this is something to worry about. Also is there anything i need to put on his ear to keep it from getting infected. Im not quite sure why he has only one ear just that when i brought him home i saw only one sticking up. And when i went to look at the other ear it wasn't even there...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is there a scab or sore spot where the skin is healing over? If not, then it's already healed over and there's not much of a possibility for infection. If there's a scab over it, it would probably be best just to leave it alone as it's healing up on its own. If it's still an open sore, I would take him to the vet to get some good antibiotics for it.

Once it's healed over, he should be fine though. You'll just have yourself an even more unique little guy.

If the hedgies at the pet store were housed together, that's probably where he lost his ear. You should go ahead and take him for a vet exam, as pet store hedgies are more prone to respiratory infections and whatnot so that will give you a chance to make sure everything is okay.

Congratulations, by the way. And be sure to post some pictures of the little one.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My boy had both of his ears bit off.
We don't know if it was from his mom accidentally bitting it off or if he was in a fight or what but he just has little nubs.

Thats where he got his name from actually.
The girl I got him from named him "Vander" since his ear's were bitten off like "Vander Holifield" (Yes I know his name is Evander, but apparently she didn't).
But I liked the name and I kept it.

You can see Part of his ears in this pic.

Had to add this one, I just can't resist those eyes!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Aww, Mr. Vandy-voo (haha, sorry, I made it up and it sounded funny) looks so much like Boo! (she is the one Deneen mentioned, I think she went to live with Hedgierrt for her last days)

·
Registered
594 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Aww, Mr. Vandy-voo (haha, sorry, I made it up and it sounded funny) looks so much like Boo! (she is the one Deneen mentioned, I think she went to live with Hedgierrt for her last days)
haha Vandy-voo that's cute! lol
I think he lost his ear's because he's a lover not a fighter. He's such a sweetie. And spoiled!
(OT sorry) He gets up every morning about 2am and comes to the corner of his cage closest to my bed and scratches until I get him out to play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.