Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Princess Quillia is so shy. She only really opens up to me and not my fiance.
The only time my fiance handles her is when hes helping me bathe her or clip her nails.
A couple days ago we were bathing her and I read somewhere you can use baby shampoo for soap to make them less stinky. Well me being stubborn bought the cheapest I could find and didnt smell it to make sure it didn't have a scent before I went through with the purchase.
When I arrived home we prepared her bath and let her swim in the water. I then lathered some of the shampoo on my hand and started rubbing it on her tummy and somehow she caught my left index finger and bit the crap out of it! so hard it made me scream because I wasn't expecting it. And she wouldnt let go for a good 20 seconds and drew blood and left my finger bruised really bad for days after. :confused:Shes never had a biting problem before either. (I've been her mommy since the middle of march). She hates being on her back and/or having her tummy touched. She normally balls up when I touch her tummy. Do you guys think it was the scent of the soap that made her bite?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Agreed. Hedgies are very attracted to some smells for whatever reason and she probably thought your finger smelled delightfully delicious. I wash my hands with unscented soap before and after handing Prudence to prevent this kind of thing. Sometimes when all that they smell is the soap/product that you have on, a hedgie has trouble differentiating between you and where the smell is coming from.

The fragrance free baby wash is what you're looking for, not the shampoo. :)

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.