Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thank you for letting me post, I'm hoping to get some advice. Sniffy, our 4 1/2 year old hedgie hasn't used his wheel in a couple of weeks and starting about a week ago can't really walk, his legs seem really weak. He more crawls or drags himself and falls over to one side. I have to hold him up or prop him up to get him to eat or drink. His cage/room is between 75 and 80 degrees, so he is warm enough. We took him to a vet who handles exotic animals, but once we got there we found out that she unfortunately hasn't seen hedgies in a long time, so she went on-line and found WHS and kind of got stuck on that diagnosis. She recommended euthanizing him, but our daughter wanted some more time with him so we held off until this coming Tuesday. After coming here and other places last night, I'm not convinced it is WHS. Any advice? I'm trying to post a short video of his behavior here, but maybe videos are too big a file. Thank you!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,060 Posts
WHS is very rare and cant really be diagnosed until after death. It generally runs in genetics too and most breeders are very careful not use hedgehogs with lines that have had WHS cases, also its generally a very slow process.

Due to age it could well be old age, it could be something like arthritis or inflamed legs - I remember seeing something else where and they had this problems with their hedgehog the vet put them on anti inflammation and that helped after a few days the hedgehog was walking well again and being her normal active self. I cant remember if there was something else given as well or not though.

Possibly find another exotic vet thats dealt more with hedgehogs/APH's to take a look and see what they think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ria! I spoke with the breeder and she has never seen or had any hedgehogs with WHS and since it is thought to be genetic and the onset was a short period of time, I am thinking less that it is WHS. Breeder said one of her other client's hedgie had similar symptoms and was treated for an ear infection and symptoms cleared up. I am going to call the vet that diagnosed WHS and ask if she will prescribe ear drop antibiotics for him to see if that helps.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,060 Posts
Fair enough, if the ear drop antibiotics dont work you could try the anti inflammatory route to see that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts