Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog, Hermione, is almost 6 years old. about a month ago, I took her to the vet after noticing heavy bleeding. I wasn't sure of the source at the time, but after she was observed, it was concluded that the blood resided in her urine.
I opted to have her put under, while the vet did xrays. she attempted to use the needle to have more information about her urinary tract, but she said she couldn't get it in after several tries. she narrowed the prognosis down to a UTI or uterine cancer, but did not recommend surgery because of her age.
I gave her antibiotics for 2 weeks following the vet visit, but today I found more blood. she was shaking.
What do you think I should do now?

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
I'd take her back to the veterinarian for a re-examination. If it is infection, the antibiotics given may not have been the right ones and a new antibiotic may work better. There may be a new symptom that the veterinarian sees this time that wasn't present before. Or if it is cancer the veterinarian may prescribe drugs that may help keep her comfortable for the rest of her time. Either way, she should be re-checked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts