Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a hedgie and was wondering if my housing setup was ok. I have a 12 inch by 24 inch aquarium and have just the basics, a wheel, a castle house, water and food, and a heating blanket on the outside bottom of the cage. would this suit a hedgehog well?

·
Registered
84 Posts
That sounds way too small, the wheel alone should be 12-13 inches. And cages are preferred over aquariums because of ventilation issues. You should check out the cage examples thread there is a pretty good variety of suitable housing there
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860

·
Registered
83 Posts
A hedgehog needs at the very minimum four square feet. That's 24" by 24". My hedgehog's cage is 18" by 30" with a loft, so it is pretty much the minimum size of cage you would find in a petstore that would be suitable for a hedgie. A 24" by 24" cage would probably need to be a handmade C & C cage. Also aquariums are not very well ventilated and are not easily temperature regulated. You would be better off with buying a large guinea pig cage or building one of your own.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Nope, it needs to be larger than that. Also aquariums are not good housing choices for hedgies. They are harder to properly heat, ventilate, and clean.

·
Registered
244 Posts
that sounds WAY 2 small of a cage. and make sure the wheel is big cuz reading the size of ur aquariam it seems to me that ur wheel is small . it REALLY should NOT b small it can REALLY DAMAGE a hedgies spine/back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts