Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few minutes ago, I was playing with Spiff. When he went to the bathroom, it was very runny and green jello-ish. I figured he was under a bit of stress because he was in a new home and he had his cage all moved around. No biggie, I'll just be careful of how I feed & treat him. The runnyness worried me a little, so I tried to get him to eat a teeny bit of canned pumpkin. He rolled up! Now, this is an issue, because neither I, nor the breeder, have ever seen him roll up! Usually all he does is puff up his forehead, but he went into full hissy ball mode. And stayed that way for 5 minutes. So his symptoms are green, runny, stinky poo, and a total mood switch. Should I try to get to the vet? I mean, his poo was like LIQUID.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Since Spiff is new to you, runny green poop is pretty much expected. The stress of a new home is what causes it.

You must have scared him with the smell of the pumpkin, or the method you tried to feed it to him. Let him settle down and try not feeding anything but his regular food for at least a few days.

·
Registered
581 Posts
How old is he? If he is quilling it can bring on a total mood change....i would be a little hissy ball as well if i had hundreds of things trying to poke though my skin...lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
He is definitely going through his last quilling then....he will be a little tempermental during this time. some hedgies quill really fast, just a few days....some take longer, i think our dora took almost 3 weeks before she got comopletely done. if he is really uncomfortable you can try giving him and oatmeal bath every now and then to help soothe his skin. you can either buy aveeno baby oatmeal bath, or if you already have regular oatmeal you can put some in a sock and run his bath like normal, just a few inches of warm water....not too hot because he can burn easily....then just drag the sock through the water and squeeze it until the water becomes cloudy. just puthim in and let him walk around and use a cup to pour the water over his back. the best way to test the bath temp is to either use a bath thermonmeter for babies or use your wrist, if it is too hot on yor wrist, it is too hot for hedgie. this will also give you some cuddle time after the bath when you wrap him up in a warm towel to dry off....it can take a while to get him all the way dry and you may need to use more than one towel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, now I'm not entirely sure it is quilling, because he hasn't lost any quills! :shock: If it isn't quilling, then why did my hedge suddenly go from sweet, cuddley little creature to hissing, popping ball of spikes?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
They can grow in new quills without losing the old ones at the same time. Inky still has a few of his baby quills, at two years old. :lol:

Changes in behavior can point to other things. You may want to get him to a vet to make sure he's not sick, since hedgies are very good at illness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts