Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and it was a really cold night and our furnace stopped working. Fuzzie is freezing. Im warming her up now but she isnt really moving. Im trying to warm her up as best I can but her heater just couldnt do the job last night.

What else should I do other than warm her up at this point, I think she hibernating or trying to. She's in a ball, lethargic and unresponsive to anything, she's moving a little bit.

sorry i didnt search for more info but kinda panicking here. Horrible night.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Getting her warm is paramount. Warm a towel up in the dryer or by ironing it. Not too hot. Wrap her up and stick her inside your shirt. Put a sweater or sweatshirt on to trap body heat.

If she's moving at all, give her drops (one at a time) of warm (not hot) chamomile tea. If she doesn't lick the drops or doesn't swallow, stop. As she awakens, switch to warmed a/d or warmed wet cat food. Use a syringe to give her tiny bits.

Get the environment temperature up to at least 75. She'll most likely need it to be 78 after she recovers. Do not let up until she's active and moving, eating, drinking, urinating and defecating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to hand it to my girl. Im not sure how long it was cold, somewhere around 4-6 hours i think. I had her wrapped in warm fleece on my chest for a couple hours. She's now running around her cage seemingly normal, eating ,drinking, scratching and looking cute. Just waiting for the pooping and peeing. Thank you for the advice, I panicked a little but she's a survivor. I fixed the furnace with her laying on my chest. House is warm, her cage is warm.

PLEASE EVERYONE, FIND A WAY TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS BETTER THAN I DID. You do not want this kind of panic in your life, I thought I was going to lose her. I think ill wire an alarm to my bedroom or hall that will go off if her cage temp drops below my normal operating level. Anything to avoid this again.

I hope she makes a full recovery and does fine. Ill keep the board updated as I can. Im just happy she's doing alright now.

Gotta go, she's gnawing on my finger. That's my girl!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
For nights where it seems to be storming hard, or the wind is really blowing, I'd heat up a snuggle safe to put into the cage as a precaution. Actually... I do that most nights when I'm at my apartment. Though not so much now that I'm back at my mom's, since my boy's cage is in my room, and I get cold easily myself, so I'd definitely know if it's too cold.

It just makes me feel better knowing that there's an extra heat source that's not dependant on electricity if anything happens. (I even have a portable gas stove to boil water for a hot water bottle :lol: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts