Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. Had a skin issue, hedgehog went partially bald, how is growing back quills at alarming rate, has become extremely grumpy regardless what I do, she's started biting me. And this was during the last cuddle time, and then again she tried when I got her out from under her wheel when I wanted to clean her house. Hissing, popping, the usual stuff.

It was more a nip than a full on 'I'm not gonna let go' bite but this is making it hard for me to get her out for cuddle times because she simply refuses to cooperate. Bribing doesn't seem to be working either. I haven't changed any soap products I've been using since I got her so, I feel that this extra grumpyness is a bit unwarranted?

I already gave her an oatmeal bath to help with her skin and flaxeed in food and on back too.

Any suggestions? :? She was a VERY tolerant hog before this.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It could just be the quills coming in. They get grumpy when quilling and if she had big bald spots I would guess them coming in is like quilling.I would just keep holding her.also some times if your feeding her from your hand a lot they will expect food and nip thinking your feeding them. Im not as experienced as some of the people on here. Im sure they will cover if u miss something or im off a little. Their are some awsome people on here.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
^ connorshogs pretty much covered everything here.

Just keep handling her, even if she bites. She's probably in pain will the quills growing back, so you could try to be more gentle.

Kashi went through a biting phase. I suspect it was puberty. He would not let me near him at all. he would bite and then pull and sometimes even try to shake. He used to be very docile before that so I was freaking out a bit, but I kept handling him and it seems to have paid off ^_^ He doesn't bite me anymore. The only incident where he did after that was when I was clipping his nails and I took a little longer than usual. He just gave me a short nip to show me he was fed up :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
As mentioned, entirely possible the grumpiness is from the new quills growing back.

Ralph was the grumpiest little booger while he went through quilling, he hated being touched, hated being looked at even, i'm sure, judging by the amount of huffing and puffing that went on....to be fair as well it did take him about 2-3 months after quilling to get back to his usual mild-mannered self.
Perhaps just give her some time to come around...still spend time with her obviously but maybe not handle her quite as much because it might be a little uncomfortable for her??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

Now I'm trying to keep contact to a minimum without alienating her, so just a check in the morning and then about half an hour or so of cuddletime before she goes about her usual business :) Time will make everything better I guess :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts