Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds crazy but... I´ve had my hedgehog for like 5 months and he´s been behaving normally (I mean, for a hedgehog...). Last week I was out of town for the weekend and he was home alone for like 48 hours (which he had been couple times before just fine). Since then he seems a lot more nervous when I handle him, not too willing to be handled actually, and what´s worst he doesn´t seem to enjoy his worms as much. He used to go for them like crazy, now he hesitantly eats a few and then just sniffs. Or chews them up and spits them out. Any ideas? Thx.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
What's the temperature in the cage? Do you have a heating set up? Did anything else seem out of the ordinary when you got home? Did he still have food & water left?

Check him over carefully for any possible injuries or something that might be bothering him. If you can't find anything, it's probably just from not being handled or perhaps something scared him while you were gone. But still keep a very close eye on him & if he doesn't go back to normal in a couple of days, I'd take him to the vet to be checked out thoroughly.

And as a side note, it's really not a good idea to leave hedgehogs on their own for more than one night. Too many things can happen to injure or cause issues for them. If you have to be away for more than one night, it's best to have someone stop in at least once a day to check heating/lighting, refresh food & water, and check your hedgie over for any problems, or take your hedgehog to stay with someone (breeder, vet, boarding place, friend/family/etc.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts