Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
At one point, i was told that it was sometimes normal for them to sleep that way. I can not remember WHO told me that, but I had a similar issue. my hedgie was sleeping sprawled out.

Anyways, it turned out that my hedgie had a HORRIBLE issue. He actually had SOMETHING (pine needle, sliver, ect) stuck inside the sheath of his penis! Apparently he came to me that way and I didnt know for a few months when he was sleeping like that. Apparently, even though he balled up when he was scared and SOMETIMES when he was sleeping, there would be other tiems where balling up was actually hurting him.

I spoke to the Hedgehog Welfare Society about this issue and they said that it is actually common.

How long have you had your little guy?? Did you get him from a breeder or pet store or rescue? Do you know if he was ever housed in corn cob, cedar, woodchips?

·
Registered
84 Posts
with the heating pad, did you leave an area that was not affected by the heat pad? Just for future reference, if you use heating items (like a pad or a light) there should always be a place in the cage for the pet to get away from the heat so they can move if they feel like they are over heating.

That is probably what it was.. just future reference.. put the heating pad under HALF the cage, and have houses or igloos in both halves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.