Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed that Steve, my hedgey, has been "sprawling" out when he sleeps. I've noticed him laying on his belly, and sticking his legs out. Is this normal, because i was under the impression that Hedgeys sleep in a ball, or could he be getting sick (i've got a cold and so have a few of the people that have come into the house; I know you usually cant get your pet sick with a human virus, but i'm keeping the options open)

thanks for your imput
Drew

·
Registered
84 Posts
At one point, i was told that it was sometimes normal for them to sleep that way. I can not remember WHO told me that, but I had a similar issue. my hedgie was sleeping sprawled out.

Anyways, it turned out that my hedgie had a HORRIBLE issue. He actually had SOMETHING (pine needle, sliver, ect) stuck inside the sheath of his penis! Apparently he came to me that way and I didnt know for a few months when he was sleeping like that. Apparently, even though he balled up when he was scared and SOMETIMES when he was sleeping, there would be other tiems where balling up was actually hurting him.

I spoke to the Hedgehog Welfare Society about this issue and they said that it is actually common.

How long have you had your little guy?? Did you get him from a breeder or pet store or rescue? Do you know if he was ever housed in corn cob, cedar, woodchips?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hedgehogs usually "splat" when they are too warm. What temp is he kept at?

If he is getting older, sometimes they will develop different habits, or act strange the last few days before they pass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh wow... Now I'm really worried.

I got him from a breeder about midsummer when he was 6-8 weeks old. I actually had to move him back home for a while, where my family got him used to Aspen shavings, because it lacks natural oils. I noticed Steve doing this odd behavior just today, so It seems to be new.

I'm trying to upload some pictures of the sprawling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/42/dscf0002zp3.jpg

theres a link to the picture.

Lizardgirl- the house is at 76, but ive been running a reptile heating pad under his cage, since yesterday the cold front dropped the house temperature to 67. I unplugged the pad, and removed steve from the heat. I'm hopping he was just splatting from being hot. I wasn't planing on having baked Steve anytime in the future...

·
Registered
84 Posts
with the heating pad, did you leave an area that was not affected by the heat pad? Just for future reference, if you use heating items (like a pad or a light) there should always be a place in the cage for the pet to get away from the heat so they can move if they feel like they are over heating.

That is probably what it was.. just future reference.. put the heating pad under HALF the cage, and have houses or igloos in both halves.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
He looks like he is probably just too warm- 73-76 is usually best, and if he's used to it a bit lower he might just be trying to escape the heat. If you can move the heat pad a bit, or lower the temp somehow, he will probably go back to sleeping like usual. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LinzardB said:
with the heating pad, did you leave an area that was not affected by the heat pad? Just for future reference, if you use heating items (like a pad or a light) there should always be a place in the cage for the pet to get away from the heat so they can move if they feel like they are over heating.

That is probably what it was.. just future reference.. put the heating pad under HALF the cage, and have houses or igloos in both halves.
Well that's the strange thing, The mini heating pad is 6x10" and it was under half of his lego box house. The cage Steve lives in is a 95 qt sterlite tub, so he has more then plenty of room to move around. Maybe Steve is a slow hedgehog....I hope not!

Thanks for the input though! I'm monitoring his activity, and am hoping it was just heat

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
:lol: My Smokey used to sleep with his nose up in the corner like that. It was one of his favourite positions and he did it regardless of temperature.

If you are concerned about temperature, give him another place to sleep that is away from the heating pad. If he'es too warm, he will choose the other place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My hedgehog Fabio usually sprawls out when i take him out. Now im kinda worried. But when i wake him up he is kinda rolled in a ball like normal. Almost every time i take him out he likes to stick his head and some of his body out of his blanket and he sprawls out. I thought that was normal. Is it ok that he does this? Sometimes when i take him out he stays in the blanket but somedays he likes to sprawl out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts