Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

Three odd questions but we think are quite cute:

1) How do hedgehogs drink their water? We hear Hitch drinking all the time but can't really see how he goes about it. Does he drink water like a dog with his tongue, or does he actually suck up the water like good old you and I?

2) Bought some mealworms for the little guy today and just wondered about caring for the worms. I put them in a small plastic container with a few vent holes in the top. Do I have to feed them anything? Do I have to put water in there? How can I keep them in the worm phase? Do I put them in the fridge?

3) Hedgehogs have eye lids right? How come I never see Hitch close his eye lids?

Cheers,

R.

·
Registered
123 Posts
1) They drink like a dog. They dip their tongue in the water. How long hav eyou had your hedgie.. If he is comfortabel with you get up close and watch him drink.. Its TOOOO CUTE!

2) Idk about worms.. I get freeze dried.. Live bugs are gross..

3)Have you ever caught your hedgie sleeping.. If you have.. which most likely you have.. then you have seen his eyes closed. I dont think there is a crease in the lid though, if that is what you are asking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
LOL do you ever watch SNL? Did you ever see the "Two A-hole" skit when they go to adopt a baby and all the woman keeps saying is "yeah, I want a baby with eyeballs"? Thats what number three made me think of...random, I know.

Anywho, I agree with Melissa on 1 and 3

For the mealworms you can put the mealies in a container with their bedding or some dry plain oats (I think) and a slice of potato for food/moisture. Then just keep em in the fridge. Keeping them cold will keep them in a hibernation stage and prevent them from turning into gross big beetles. I don't know about you but I don't want beetles next to my yogurt. Woms, ok.

As far as breeding or colonizing them IDK. I'd like to find that out for myself instead of spending money on freakin bugs I can grow at home :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm pretty new at raising mealies, but I've had some turn into beetles that don't look too deformed so I can't be doing *too* much wrong. I have three containers. I've been mixing cornmeal with old fashioned oats, and cutting a potato in half to put in for food in two of the containers (one for the mealworms and later one for the beetles). After a few weeks the mealworms turn into larvae that just kind of lay around. These I've been putting in a third container with nothing in it so they can do their thing and turn into beetles. (Some people put paper towels in for the beetles to grip once they've changed.) It took about a week or two for mine to turn into beetles. Once they turn, transfer the beetles to the container for the beetles because they will eat the larvae otherwise. They lay eggs, then the whole process starts again. They lay about 500 eggs each, so if you keep this up for awhile, you'll only need to buy those mealies that initial time.

As heather said, if you put them in the fridge as mealies, they don't turn into beetles. Just take them out every week or two and let them warm up for 24 hours and put part of a potato in there for them to eat, if you want to keep them fresh and alive.

Reaper posted several articles here that you might want to look at.
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46

Good luck with the mealworms. :)

Hedgies DO have eyelids, you probably just haven't caught yours sleeping. I know Quentin can hear when I'm coming down the hallway toward the room, and it usually wakes him up so unless I'm in there when he falls asleep, I don't get to see him sleeping. That little guy has great hearing! Even if I sneak, he still hears me coming. :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hehe, those are funny questions. :)

1. They drink similar to a dog. Tongues are quite different, but same concept. It's adorable to watch!

2. Mealies, if you aren't going to have a colony, should be kept in the fridge in the little cup they came in. They are best kept in wheat bran, which they usually come in. It's really cheap if you ever need to go buy some.

3. Inky rarely blinks too! It's kind of cute. So yes, they blink, albeit not nearly as often as us. :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys and gals!

I haven't been able to get down low enough to see him drink.. the bottom of the pen is blue therefore hard to see thru it too...

As for the eyelids.. he is always hiding while sleeping therefore once you remove the fleece you can't see his eyes closed...

Mealies.. I will get some oats and a potato to put in there. I will try to keep them in the fridge but the GF might not like the idea. I could leave them outside the temp. is about 10oC right now.

S.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you don't plan on having a colony establish and are just putting them in the fridge, you don't even need the potato. If you leave them out at room temperature, then you can get a colony started. But yeah, if you put them in the fridge they go into something similar to hibernation mode and won't change into beetles or anything, so it just depends on what you want to do with them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts