Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, (sorry this turned to a long post - it just needed background.
We have recently moved with our little hoggy Hitch.
It was quite a move - We drove, and did it it stages.
We stayed in hotels, and one night we were on a ferry.

It has been 2 weeks now since the move, and he is living in his "vacation home" (smaller cage that we use at the babysitter-his bigger normal cage should arrive this week)

As for the drive, Hitch did great. He always traveled well - and slept most of the time since we did all day driving.

Recently, we have noticed that he has started to eat more. He is waking up in the day for a snack. Today it was around 2:30 in the afternoon and he even ran a little. He has almost always pooped on me when I take him out at night. The past couple of nights though, he started to pee on me!
My husband was holding him for about 30 mins, and he just snuggled with him. As soon as I took him, and I mean, instantly - he pooped, and peed on me! He used to to this when he was a baby, and there was a lot more pee at that time. But now, he is getting older. He will be 4 in July.

We think it has a lot to with the light. Where we moved, it only gets dark after 9 and it starts to get daylight around 3:30. We are still waiting for our stuff to arrive to get his light. In Montreal, we had a light above his cage, on a timer.

We are going to try tonight to just plug in a regular light on a timer, and block the light from his window to see if that will help.

So, my concerns are really about his eating a lot more food, being up in the day time, and the peeing on me.

Thanks for any and all help. I know - before it gets said - he should probably see a vet. There is none close. The closest I think is about a 4hr drive, plus a 1.5h ferry. If we think he really needs it - he will go - its just really far, and we try and avoid the car ride since he just had a really long one.

THANKS! :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Most older hedgehogs will wake during the day to eat. Him peeing in you is most likely related to his age, as they don't have as much bladder control as when they were younger. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
They need to be on a 12-14 daylight schedule. Using natural light is not safe. Right now he is only getting 6.5 hours of night time, it should be around 10-12.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The OP did say they were going to put a regular light on a timer for him until they get his. :)

I don't have a ton of experience with different health issues, but I'd definitely keep an eye on him. As Kittyeats said, I've seen other owners comment that their older hedgies will start to come out more often in the daytime to grab snacks and such. But I can see your concerns with the eating and peeing. Hopefully Nancy, Kalandra, or someone else with a bit more knowledge will come by to offer more advice on whether this could be a health issue or not. Hope you get the rest of his stuff soon!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It may be his age and not being able to hold it as well as he used to. Does he pee in bed?

Getting up to eat during the day is also something the elder hogs often do. Does he have his wheel in his smaller cage? Eating more can also be a sign of boredom. How is his weight, is he gaining?

Put him on white cotton liners or paper towel so you can tell if there is any change in his urine colour. Since he is peeing on you, he obviously isn't having to strain or looks like it hurts.

The lighting may be throwing him off so it will be good when you get it more normal for him. Hopefully that will help.

I'd probably hold off on the vet for a few days since it's so far unless his appetite diminishes or you are seeing bloody urine, straining, or any other signs that he'es not feeling well. Once in his old cage with a normal lighting schedule, he may go back to normal. It also may be just coincidence and it's age related. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Just a little update:

With the extended the "daylite" that he is still getting up a couple of times in the day from what I can hear.
We are still waiting for his bigger cage. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday he will have things back to normal.
Good news..he DIDN'T pee on me last night!! YIPPI!!

Also Nancy, from what I can see, he isn't pooping or peeing in his bed, so thats a great thing :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello everyone... to follow up with our little baby Hitch.. or should I say our senior Hitch...

He has been peeing more often on when he is out with us (he never pee'd on us prior to our move) and he also pooping more frequently than usual. His food consumption has increased dramatically with his usual being around 60-70 kibble per night to in excess of 100 piece of kibble a night. He has also increased his water intake from the past. We use a bowl and it can be difficult to judge sometimes if he is actually eating it or knocking it over. I also find that his urine smells stronger than in the past. I am wondering if he could be fighting a UTI... We had switched him to a different wheel during our travels also. He was not on his usual wheel.

He has also gained quite a bit of weight compared to his historic number. He was usually in the 290-300 but he is around ~350 as of last week. He has never been so high.

I noticed also on his wheel that his pee is drying with a webbing design on the wheel.. could that be in indication of excessive protein in his diet?

We might be worrying over nothing but it does seems a little bit out of the ordinary for our little fella. With our recent move, a vet visit involves a ferry ride and a four hour drive. We might have to consider bringing him on Friday for a quick visit to make sure all is well...

Scott.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Are there no vets closer that could at least check his urine? Since he is peeing on you, it would be easy to collect a urine sample and being a boy, it doesn't have to come directly from his bladder. Of course FNA is always best, but collecting a sample is going to show bacteria, blood, or other nastys. It would be more likely with a UTI that he would eat less and drink less as they generally don't feel good.

How is his activity level? Some of them do put on a bit of weight with age as they aren't as active and not being as active they sometimes eat more to fill their time. That's a possibility although that with the timing of your move is maybe too coincidental.

Sorry, I can't offer much help, other than a vet visit or taking a sample in. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts