Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgie's got really dry skin right now, and I got some flaxseed oil to start adding to her food. But I was wondering if giving her oatmeal baths more frequently right now would help the dry skin, or if it would make it worse because it's still a bath, even if it has the oatmeal with it. Her skin's so dry and I feel horrible about it, so I just want to help get it moisturized as soon as I can.

Also, this is kinda related to the dry skin. I have a humidifier going in my bedroom, where Lily's cage is, and I want to keep it up a bit higher, to help keep the air in my room less dry. But my mom thinks that if it gets too humid in my room (right now it's only like, 30%), that it'll start a mold problem. I was just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions on this, and what a good percentage to keep would be, that would help Lily's skin, but not encourage any mold growth. I'd really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention, she actually has a bald spot on each of her sides, too. I emailed the breeder I got her from with pictures, and she said she didn't think it looked like mites, that it was probably just dry skin. So I've been trying to put a little cocoa butter lotion on it to see if it would help those spots, but she doesn't like me touching them very much.
Oh, and all of the quills she's been losing have had the little balls on the end, which is another reason I was thinking it was dry skin instead of mites. But if you think different, please tell me. I just want to make sure I have a valid reason for taking her the vet, so I'm not paying a bunch of money to find out it really is just dry skin. But I want her to get better, too. :(

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The flaxseed oil should definitely help. You might not see it right away, but it will! If you have a humidifier on, and are applying the cocoa butter/lanolin/other cream to her skin, she shouldn't need a bath. Using oatmeal will make it less drying, but it doesn't seem like it would be necessary to bath her often with the other things you are doing. I'd say no more than once every two weeks, at least. But I haven't dealt with very bad dry skin yet so I can't speak from experience.

I hope your littler girl starts to heal up soon! :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Depending on the frequency of the oatmeal baths, it could either help or harm. If it's been awhile (a month or so) since her last bath, you might want to try an oatmeal bath. I did that with my hedgie and it help a lot... along with applying some flax seed oil directly to her skin. Adding the flax seed oil directly to her food can help, but it will likely take a few weeks before you notice any changes to her skin.

Having said that, I'll caution you on putting the oil on you little one's skin right now because you mentioned she has bald spots on both sides. I've learned that bald spots can be caused by a number of things: a bacterial or fungal infection, mites, etc... And you shouldn't apply an oil-based product to her skin until you've figured out what's causing the bald spots because it could make it worse.

About those bald spots you noticed on her sides, could you describe that a bit more? How big are they? Are they getting bigger? smaller? staying the same size? Are you finding quills in her house and other places she plays?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They've pretty much stayed the same size since they first appeared, between the size of a nickel and a dime, I think. She has one on either side, a little bit closer to her tail end than to her head. They're right on the line between her quills and her fur, and it looks like she's lost more fur from the spots than she has quills, but it's hard to tell. I have been finding more quills than usual, mostly in her igloo/on her sleeping bag. I've found anywhere from two-four a day so far. The skin looks rather dry on the bald spots, too, mostly up near the quills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts