Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
What's "madness" about it, in your opinion?
For wild European hedgehogs in the UK, there's Hedgehog Street: Home - Hedgehog Street - an excellent site, with forum & lots of resources / info.
This site is for pet AP hedgehogs, a different species. I don't have one, but i like to read the posts and look at other people's hogs photos here, esp. now that our wild visitors are hibernating so i'm deprived of hogwatching.

· Registered
7 Posts
No need to apologise, no offence was taken :)
I found this site via HedgehogStreet myself, while reading up on wild hogs. Had no idea previously that pet pygmy hedgehogs even existed, i first learnt about them here - and now i check out this site every other day.

In a way i think pet hogs are in even more desperate situation than the endangered wild hogs, as they are 100% dependent on us humans - they have zero chance to survive in the wild, no resources of their own to fall back onto. And their photogenic "cuteness" works against them, as a lot of people who shouldn't have pets to begin with buy them for the "cute" factor and once they find out they are not the cuddly, low-maintenance toys they wished for, they neglect or dump them. And most people don't want to adopt older rescue hogs, they rather fork out money for babies which they will probably dump after a few months, and the cycle continues. I wish there was more awareness of APH rescue in the UK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts