Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, all the commercial foods have guaranteed nutritional analysis, but what should I be looking for? Brown's Zoo Vital is 15% protein, Sunseed is 37%?! Especially in protein, but in general on all levels, what should I be looking for? Sunseed seems way too rich to me, and does not seem to contain much if anything in the way of VEGETABLES, but while these guys are insectivorous, they're also omnivorous. Browns is also only 4% fat, vs 7% for sunseed.

I did read last week that brown's contains choking hazards, but as my guys do love it and the only other options for us are sunseed or vitacraft (and I'm NOT feeding them vitakraft), should I really switch foods, or just pick the raisins out of the Browns? I want them to have a balanced diet, and I really don't have the time right now to mix custom foods for anybody, (on top of the hedgies I have degus, chinchillas, rabbits, gerbils, african rats, mice, spiny mice, and the list goes on) nor do I trust that I would be adding the right things, my knowledge of hedgehogs being limited to two books and two months hands on experience. There is Science Diet cat food in the house, (2 cats too), but cat food looks sooo big for such small mouths.

The other thing is that our little girl is currently a tad overweight, so we are hesitant to put her on a food with MORE fat. We finally found a wheel the right size for them, and Cini started her swimming lessons this week (now that we're past the "she could be pregnant, so do we really want to force her to lose weight" scare). Their mealworms got cut back to 2x a week.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Thanks for the help!
Crystal
mother of Soni & Cini

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Are you feeding wild european hedgies? Those are the only ones you should even consider feeding Brown's. It is absolutely horrible and is likely to kill hedgies with malnutrition.

Assuming these are pet African hedgies, you definitely need to switch them onto a better diet. At the top of this forum there is a sticky with recommended foods. Try some high-quality cat food. There are a few, but not many, commercial hedgie foods that are suitable, and even then, should be in a mix with other cat foods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.