Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a baby hedgehog about 2 weeks ago and she is 11 weeks old..I noticed that on her front right foot she has only little nubs for toes with no toenails or actual toes. She gets around just fine so I'm not too worried. Is it common for hedgehogs to have birth defects? Does anyone think I should be concerned? it doesn't look like they were chewed off or anything and she is a little clumsy when trying to climb on things because she doesn't have the grip she needs with her nails. It's not like shes climbing ladders or anything..she just tries to climb out of the side of her kiddie pool she plays in

·
Registered
695 Posts
That's so interesting. Did you get her from a breeder? Did they mention it at all? It might be useful to know if it came from an injury or if she was born that way. I have seen posts about hedgies with a variety of defects and from what I remember they seem to get around just fine. The only thing I can think is to be sure that if it was an injury that its definitely been cleaned so it heals well without any room for infection.

I don't have any first hand experience, those are just my thoughts. I have read lots about hedgies that have lost one or both eyes even and live out their lives relatively normally. They seem to be pretty resilient.

Perhaps posting a picture would help...perhaps it will prompt others to chime in on this one!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Deformities like that can often happen from inbreeding but sometimes they just so up randomly as well. Did the breeder mention it to you before you bought her? Do you know if her parents are HWS registered?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If she's just a pet, it's no concern at all. :) The only concern would be if she was to be bred, in which case, she isn't breeding quality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the best picture I could get of her foot since she has other plans apparently and wasn't up for a photo shoot :lol: Anyways this had to have happened before I got her however I didn't realize it until just the other day and the skin is grown over it, no cuts and it doesnt look like its a fresh or healing wound..I regret to say that she came from a pet store which probably explains it and she was relatively cheap..I just saw her and her living conditions were too small and I couldn't leaver her there..I had been planning to get one from a breeder and I know pet stores aren't the best place to get hedgehogs but they need loving too and she was so cute and sweet and I felt bad for her..I just got her a few weeks ago and her name is Luna. I don't plan on breeding her just spoiling her and loving her like she deserves :)

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
We had two sweet special needs boys born here at Storybook with nubbies (we called them the Pegleg Twins). Not a product of inbreeding, but just "one of those things", as the vet phrased it. When they were born, I was afraid they wouldn't survive, because as my mom always says (she is a nurse that worked in the NICU for many years), with babies of any kind, an external deformity means it is more likely they have an internal deformity as well. They don't ALWAYS... but it is more likely. Our one boy that had both front legs nubbed passed away at about 4 months old. He struggled to keep on weight and one day, lost mobility in his back legs. We tried several treatment plans that didn't work, and ultimately made the decision to help him across the bridge peacefully. On the contrary, his brother (only one nubbed foot) is still alive and thriving, and doesn't seem to even know anything is wrong. It could easily go either way with this baby. My tips are to watch his nubbin for signs of redness or rawness (running on the wheel can wear down the skin) and remove the wheel for a couple nights if it is looking sore, make sure to use fleece (shavings or particulate bedding are more difficult to walk through), only use a bucket wheel (the ridges on a Comfort Wheel are very uncomfortable on nubs!), and keep an eye on his weight-- make sure he is growing as he should! Bless you for helping this little bub, I know he will respond to all the love you are lavishing-- she is a beautiful baby and makes me miss my Dominic very much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I worry about her all the time because she is small also, she doesn't seem to gain much weight although she eats like a pig (she has mild gastrointestinal issues) and she will not run on a wheel at all, I have a bucket wheel that we made for her and she won't even climb on it (she is extremely curious about everything else just not her wheel) she has a large cage that she will run around randomly..she likes to sleep more than anything but if I wake her up she will be active (I kind of describe her like a teenager, sleeps all the time and if she's not sleeping she's eating or being moody)..I sorry that you lost you're baby hedgie but I'm glad his brother is still doing well!

·
Registered
473 Posts
You can offer her a little higher fat food, it may be that her body is having trouble absorbing the fat before it is excreted. Also, make sure the wheel is at the lowest setting, so it's easier to hop on and off. If she never wheels, that's okay, it might be uncomfortable for her, so as long as she's not obese she's fine wheeling or not wheeling. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke too soon..she discovered her wheel last night and oh man!! I had to give her a bath today because she went a little crazy with the wheel..I'm so happy she discovered it but now I have to clean it everyday lol..would it change her poop if she isn't absorbing completely..sometimes its kind or grainy or slimy

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the best picture I could get of her foot since she has other plans apparently and wasn't up for a photo shoot :lol: Anyways this had to have happened before I got her however I didn't realize it until just the other day and the skin is grown over it, no cuts and it doesnt look like its a fresh or healing wound..I regret to say that she came from a pet store which probably explains it and she was relatively cheap..I just saw her and her living conditions were too small and I couldn't leaver her there..I had been planning to get one from a breeder and I know pet stores aren't the best place to get hedgehogs but they need loving too and she was so cute and sweet and I felt bad for her..I just got her a few weeks ago and her name is Luna. I don't plan on breeding her just spoiling her and loving her like she deserves :)
Thank you for sharing this. I just noticed my Pringles has the same exact issue with her right front foot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts