Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a new dad and have had my new hedgie for 2 days now.
I have been watching him to make sure that he is adjusting to his new home but I noticed that he did not drink any water until last night and he still has not eaten anything since being here. He mostly sleeps during the day and night. I have been using the food that the breeder gave me and I have also tried putting meal worms, apples, and carrots in a seperate dishes to see if he would try anything. We're nearing the end of the second day but he still hasn't eaten anything. I need some advice (>_<)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It's actually quite common for babies to go on hunger strikes when they go to a new home.

I'd suggest taking out all the extra treats(They shouldn't be given until the baby has settled in anyways), and move both the food and water dish closer to his sleeping area. Something else you may want to try, is find something... even just a piece of fleece, to make a tent/dome thing over the dishes, so that he has privacy when eating.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Count the kibble you give him. It can be very difficult to tell sometimes if they have eaten if they aren't eating much. By counting, you will know exactly how many if any he is eating.

You can also put some kibble in her bed with him. Often they will eat if they don't have to leave bed to do it. This works well for both new to you hedgies and ill hedgies. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey All,

Thank you For the advice. I was really worried at first but it looks like Thor has started takinging interest in the food I give him now. Making a little tent to give him some privacy when he eats seems to have made him more comfortable and he now eats a little.
Once again Thank you for your advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts