Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately Roxy hasn't been eating, and she has not been running on her wheel!

I normally stay up till 2:00am, mostly because i can't sleep with her wheel squeaking!

But lately, she has not been running at all for the times im awake.

Also, about her not eating, for the last few nights, she has left about 1/4 of her food left in her bowl. Normally she eats the entire thing!
But today i woke up and her entire bowl was left untouched! And again, i did not hear her at all last night.

I tried to give her a meal worm, she normally cant resist these!, but she rufused to eat that as well.

Please i'm very nervous. Shes not even 5 months old. 4 months and a few days.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Is there anything changed that could be affecting her behavior? Here's some things to think about -

- temperature change
- lighting change (even something small like more light coming from a window than usual, nightlight in the room, window not being covered, etc.)
- wheel tilt change or maybe the wheel is wobbly or sticking so it's hard to run on
- check her nails & see if they're long - sometimes that causes them to not want to run
- check her food expiration date or how long you've had it open, sometimes they eat less once it's starting to get a bit stale
- opposite end, did you start a new bag of food recently?
- how is her behavior? Does she act normal when you have her out in the evenings? Or does she seem lethargic at all, or does she seem huffier than usual?
- any new smells, people, or animals in the house or her room?

If you're not seeing any issues like mentioned above that might be causing her behavior change, it might be a good idea to stock up on some syringe-feeding supplies (it may be a good idea to do that even if you have something you can try changing for tonight, just in case she still doesn't eat - you'll want to start syringe-feeding tonight or tomorrow if she's not eating at all). It may also be worth making an appointment at the vet for this week so you can get her in if need be. If you figure out what's going on, or if it seems like she just decided to do a "freak the human out" kind of deal, then you can cancel the appointment later. But at least you'll have it if you need it! Turning down favorite treats is a bit concerning, so I don't blame you for being worried, but try not to stress too much! She'll pick up on it. Let us know if you figure it out or how she's doing. If you need help with syringe-feeding, there's a sticky here - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...yringing-tutorial-syringe-feeding-sticky.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything changed that could be affecting her behavior? Here's some things to think about -

- temperature change
- lighting change (even something small like more light coming from a window than usual, nightlight in the room, window not being covered, etc.)
- wheel tilt change or maybe the wheel is wobbly or sticking so it's hard to run on
- check her nails & see if they're long - sometimes that causes them to not want to run
- check her food expiration date or how long you've had it open, sometimes they eat less once it's starting to get a bit stale
- how is her behavior? Does she act normal when you have her out in the evenings? Or does she seem lethargic at all, or does she seem huffier than usual?

If you're not seeing any issues like mentioned above that might be causing her behavior change, it might be a good idea to stock up on some syringe-feeding supplies (it may be a good idea to do that even if you have something you can try changing for tonight, just in case she still doesn't eat - you'll want to start syringe-feeding tonight or tomorrow if she's not eating at all). It may also be worth making an appointment at the vet for this week so you can get her in if need be. If you figure out what's going on, or if it seems like she just decided to do a "freak the human out" kind of deal, then you can cancel the appointment later. But at least you'll have it if you need it! Turning down favorite treats is a bit concerning, so I don't blame you for being worried, but try not to stress too much! She'll pick up on it. Let us know if you figure it out or how she's doing. If you need help with syringe-feeding, there's a sticky here - http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...yringing-tutorial-syringe-feeding-sticky.html
Thanks for responding quickly! I am going to check her food and her nails because everything else seems to be fine! If that doesn't work ill syringe feed her. I'll also keep her posted on how she does after! Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

- temperature change

Ahh i can't thank you enough!! 12:10am and my baby is eating and running away on her wheel!<3 I'm so grateful for your help! I never would of thought stale food and long nails could be the cause of this! Thank you so much im feeling so relived. I will remember this for the future!!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yesss, I'm so glad it was nothing serious! :) Lily always let me know when her food was starting to get stale as well, she'd eat less & less towards the end of the bag and I usually had to throw out the last bit of each food. These little guys can be so dang finicky. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts