Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, well i have noticed recently when watching theo in his cage that occasionally when he goes to get a drink he sometimes pushes his nose a little too far into the bowl, and then he makes these noises like hes blowing the water out of his nose and then goes right back to his business. im a little concerned and so i was just wondering if i should be worried, or just change him to a bottle or what. thanks!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about. I would not switch to a bottle they are much more hazardous (broken teeth, caught tongues, etc)

It's possible that the bowl is the wrong size or height for him. I'm thinking that a larger deeper bowl would be more difficult for him to drink out of and then he may lose his balance while drinking and dunk his nose. But I'm sort of wondering if silvercat is right about him doing it for entertainment. Perhaps he discovered it by accident and liked it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cutietaxan might be right about the depth too. Sylvie will fall in her food dish when the food is low. She stands on the edge but if can't reach will fall in. I keep her water dish really full so she doesn't need to lean in

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it sounds pretty normal to be honest -my bowls are pretty shallow but they still dunk their nostrils from time to time and make funny sneezy type sounds as if clearing their nostrils and then lick their noses when they are finished

1 - 7 of 7 Posts