Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Pebbles's old comfort wheel broke and I got a new one, it's been much louder. It's not squeaky, it's more that it thumps and thuds when she runs like the wheel is loose on the axel. It keeps me up at night and it keeps people sleeping down the hall up, too. I don't have enough saved up for a carolina storm wheel but as soon as I do I'm definitely switching. In the meantime, what are some solutions to this? One thing I've done- while very questionable- was to wrap electrical tape around the axel. It cut the noise down to a much more manageable level but the friction from the wheel pulled the tape off, and I don't want to chance Pebbles eating it or it getting stuck to her. Maybe some other, safer, and more permanent ways to bulk up the axel? I'm open to just about anything at this point.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ack, I wish I had a solution for you, but my comfort wheel was way too loud too. Switching to a Carolina storm wheel was all I could do. Maybe see if you can secure it down somehow so it's not moving around so much? I'm not sure how you could do that, though. Perhaps some kind of putty or clay would work, if it was the kind that dried. I'm not sure, it's been a year or so since I got my CSW and so I don't really remember the workings of the comfort wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ack, I wish I had a solution for you, but my comfort wheel was way too loud too. Switching to a Carolina storm wheel was all I could do. Maybe see if you can secure it down somehow so it's not moving around so much? I'm not sure how you could do that, though. Perhaps some kind of putty or clay would work, if it was the kind that dried. I'm not sure, it's been a year or so since I got my CSW and so I don't really remember the workings of the comfort wheel.
I might try the clay route, at least as a temporary solution while I scramble for a Carolina storm wheel. It'll be well worth the $80-ish it'll total to with shipping if it means I (and everyone else in my household) will be able to sleep better lol! Thank you! :)

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Have you explored making your own bucket wheel? The hardest part of making them is cutting a bucket down to the right width, but they are easy to make if you are comfortable with using tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you explored making your own bucket wheel? The hardest part of making them is cutting a bucket down to the right width, but they are easy to make if you are comfortable with using tools.
I haven't thought about that, actually! I'll definitely be looking into that to see if it's a viable option. Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts