Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so horrible! I had her bath bin on the counter and as I reached for the towel she managed to scramble out and fell onto the floor. So far she just looks a bit scared and has hunkered down in her bed. I feel so horrible for letting this happen especially because I accidentally trimmed a nail too short the other day. I feel like I'm doing more harm than good :(
Is there anything I should watch out for? She seems okay right now, but that was a pretty far drop and I'm worried!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Check the normals, food, poop, pee, water intake, wheeling activity. Depending on skin color you might be able to check for bruising. If she's walking normally, he limbs should be okay. I think the big thing to look out for is any internal bleeding or swelling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh goodness I feel sick. How do I watch for that? She's in her cuddle bag on my lap now. She's more grumpy than normal and she nipped but she's been doing that lately to taste

·
Registered
183 Posts
Watch her poop and pee for blood or discolouration, as well as her belly and such for any bruising or swelling. If you notice any of those things, theres a chance there is something internal and it would warrant a vet visit.

I'd give her legs a good inspection too, feel everything up and see how she moves and reacts to being touched, you don't want a broken foot or leg that you just don't realize!

Also... I've dropped Benny before (like 4 feet up from my hands, EEK). I panicked and cried and scooped him up, and aside from being a little rattled he was totally fine. Didn't hold a grudge against me or anything! So hopefully it'll work out the same for you!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Blood in the stool or urine can be signs. Hard or stiff tummy can also be a sign.

I don't mean to worry you. Might be a good idea to stay up a little later tonight to keep an eye on her. If she seems okay, she probably is. If there is a vet near you, you can call them and get their advice on whether or not to take her in.

Good luck. These little guys give us heart attacks all the time don't they?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the help! I let her play on the floor and she was running around and trying to climb things like normal so it doesn't seem like anything is hurt. She is a little more huffy and jumpy, but I would be too if that happened. I put a little flour on her wheel to see if she uses it (I've been meaning to do that, she's become a little less active since quilling) so that should help to notice anything too.
She has given me quite a few scares already! Geesh haha I feel so awful, but things happen and there's not much we can do!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oh, that is the worst when that happens! I put Lucy on the couch wrapped up in some blankets after her bath (where she also got her nails cut) and she managed to worm her way out and fall on the floor. I felt sooooo horrible.
Sad to say, but my hedgehogs have fallen more than I would like to admit. They are just so quick sometimes! They've all been fine.
Just keep an eye out. She will likely be okay. Try not to beat yourself up- I'm sure everyone has had a similar incident.

Reactions: DesireeM81

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
You need to keep a close eye on her for the next week. Depending on the severity, internal bleeding can take a few days to show symptoms.

Watch for everything already mentioned but also a hibernation attempt, or feeling cool. Also count her kibble so you know exactly how much she is eating.

Accidents happen despite how careful we are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts