Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just adopted a couple week old hedgehog on the 11th of April, 2015 and he is already having troubles breathing. He continually gets dried boogers covering his nose and has discharge from his eyes. He does not seem too grumpy, yet it is difficult to tell since I have only recently adopted him. The owners I got him from have given me a 30 day guarantee kind of thing and I can take him back to the breeder if needed be within the 30 days. I have already become quite attached to my little hedgehog, but am not able to pay for expensive pet bills. Is there a type of vitamin or something I could buy from the store to help him get better, or should I try to get a new hedgehog? Please let me know:)

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
No there isn't anything like that you can give him. If he has a respiratory infection he needs to see a vet asap. I would talk to the people you got him from to see if they will pay for it but either way he needs a vet. Respiratory infection can quickly become pneumonia which can be very hard to treat

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm probably going to sound mean. But it would probably be best if you took your hedgehog back to the breeder & didn't get a second one. Hedgehogs come with expensive vet bills - they're not an "if" thing, they're a "when". Even if the breeder pays for the bills for this URI, or if you have them take him back & get a healthy one, you're going to have to pay for expensive vet bills sometime during that hedgehog's life. Bills can easily get up to and over $500 in the USA, Canada, and UK (I don't know how that carries over to other countries).

If you're able to get the breeder to pay for the bills for this URI or have them take him back (and get him vet care) and take a healthy one, and you're able to immediately start putting money aside for a vet fund, then that would be awesome! But if you can't guarantee that you can give a hedgehog vet care, you shouldn't keep this little guy or get a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts