Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new here, and have lots of questions. I am sure you will be hearing lots from me!

I don't currently have a hedgehog, but that is why I am here :) Getting to know as much as I can before I get one!

My first question is about housing! I have a dwarf hamster right now, and he lives in a two-story bin-cage that I made out of storage bins.

My question is: Would a similar idea be good for a hedgehog? Are they chewers?

I'd of course use only one level, and make it long rather than tall.
I love making my own cages! I am hoping I can do the same with my future hedgie!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome!

Hedgies can live in storage bins, but they are a bit more difficult to heat properly. Some people have 2 tubs and attach them with a PVC tube. As long as it is well ventilated and heated, tubs are fine cages.

Hedgies are not rodents so no, they do not chew.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LizardGirl said:
Welcome!

Hedgies can live in storage bins, but they are a bit more difficult to heat properly. Some people have 2 tubs and attach them with a PVC tube. As long as it is well ventilated and heated, tubs are fine cages.

Hedgies are not rodents so no, they do not chew.
Thank you for the assistance! When you talk about heating, is it a matter of making sure the room is a constant temperature? Or are there products you can use to attatch to the cage?

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
If you keep the room's temperature adequate, you shouldn't have to worry about anything attached to the cage. I use a 2 tub connected via ferret tubes as cages and the only extra heat source I use is an oil-filled radiator style heater in the room. You can see an example of one of my cages at http://www.mihog.org/cages/cage_directions.phtml . The image at the bottom of the two together was from when I was using PVC pipes. I have since stopped with that and use a ferret tube with a liner in the bottom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kalandra said:
If you keep the room's temperature adequate, you shouldn't have to worry about anything attached to the cage. I use a 2 tub connected via ferret tubes as cages and the only extra heat source I use is an oil-filled radiator style heater in the room. You can see an example of one of my cages at http://www.mihog.org/cages/cage_directions.phtml . The image at the bottom of the two together was from when I was using PVC pipes. I have since stopped with that and use a ferret tube with a liner in the bottom.
Wow! Great cage! That is similar to my bin cage that I made for my hamster:

I'll maybe to a level version for my future hedgie :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hedgies need at least 72 degrees F to keep them from going into hybernation which can be fatal. It really all depends on the hedgehog, but most prefer the temp around 76.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yes, hedgies MUST have a constant temp of 72-76*F. Most are more comfortable at the warmer end of that range.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Assume you are going to need 75 or 76F (25C) because that is what most hedgehogs are comfortable at. Some are fine a bit lower than that but plan for the higher range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts