Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day!

I'm Rusty from Philippines and I'm new in this forum. I adopt my first hedgehog to my brother because he cannot take care of it. The first time I saw Spiky, name of hedgehog, his so defensive and curl up always for almost two days but now he is now relax but my problem is I can't hold him or touch him because there is one instance that when I tried to get him from his cage he bite me.

So please help me on how to tame Spiky. I really love to touch him and play with him. Can you give me tips where I can buy a wheel here in Manila for Spiky.

FYI: Spiky lives with me for almost one week already. I gave him a treat, mealworms, sometimes and I gave him a slice of apple every night. Spiky is 5 to 6 months old now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do not be afraid if he bites you. If you leave him alone every time he tries to bite you then he will learn to bite you just so you will leave him alone. Try scooping him up. He may ball up and hiss but he will warm up to you eventually. A week is not a very long time so it may take a while for him to warm up to you. Just be patient.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To help him get familiar with your scent I recommend sleeping with a T-shirt for a night or two and then put it in his cage so he can get used to your scent. Also, when he bites you do not put him back in his cage or he will think you are rewarding him. Just keep handling him. I wish you the best of luck! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If he bites your shirt, that means he likes your scent! My first hedgehog did that too, and I was worried. As it turns out, she was doing something called "self-annointing" where she tried to put a new smell all over her body!

Keep cuddling with Spikey, he will warm up to you in no time! :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
It's true that it means they like your scent! I had the hedgies out one night and was still wearing a pair of socks I had worn to work that day. They went nuts biting at my socks. Too bad my feet were still in them! But I took the socks off and all the hedgies has a blast biting the socks and anointing and doing it all over again.
My feet did make it through the experience with only minor damage :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.