Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My name is Alison and i have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 rats, oh and a husband that fill my home. We are a military family (hubby is Navy), and we love animals.

Our two rats are fairly aged and will probably go over the bridge soon, though hopefully not too soon! We used to have three but about a month ago our youngest girl passed. So far we have taken a tumor off of one and the other is almost 3 years old.

We dont plan to get a hedgehog untill the rats pass, so they get all the attention (and maybe money for vet visits) that they need in their aged life.

We have had pleanty of experience with alot of animals, be it anphibian, fish, or ferret...and ofcourse dog and cat.

Anyway, we have alot of research to do on hedgies and want to make sure we are making an informed decision, and we have pleanty of time to do that research now!

So ill get down to it:

1: I know some of the ways to heat a cage (heat the house, heat the room with a space heater, use a heating pad, and use a light for anphibians). Which do you guys use and what is the best way to just heat the cage if we want to keep the house and the room cooler?

2. I know that cleaning of the poop is a daily or every other day job. Please tell me and cons to having your hedgehog. I mean any and all bad things (i think this will be the best way to put it in perspective)

3. Please tell me anything you can think of that would be relivant to a new owner. (note: i will not use any shavings in my cage)

Thanks!
Kupcake

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC! It's great to hear you're doing your research before committing to a hedgie.

1. There are many different ways to heat the cage. If you browse this forum, especially in the Housing section, you will find FAQs and other questions with answers. Most people use ceramic heat emmiters, space heaters, etc.

2. Hedgehogs need a wheel, and will poop on it, and run in it, every night. You have to be prepared to clean this and your hedgehogs feet frequently. Most hedgies will not litter train, and even then, litter trained hedgies usually still use the wheel.

3. My best advice is to read, read, read. There are super helpful stickies everywhere, and most new owner's questions have already been answered. We also have our old forum archives (linked to in the top right hand corner) with LOTS of information there.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts