Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I got my hedgie Roach 1 month ago, he's about 6 months old and very friendly. We bonded pretty fast, and cuddle and play for about 30 minutes a day. He's using the flying saucer, because I couldn't find a regular wheel big enough for the chubby little guy. I read everything I could find about hedgehogs, but opinions are so diverse I still can't decide if the flying saucer is safe for Roach. He seems to love it and plays with it for hours during the night, but I worry that it can hurt his tiny feet.

Also, his meals consist of special hedgehog food (a mix of dry fruit, and insects) and wet cat food every 2-3 days. I also sneak vegetables and fruit in his meals every night, so I make sure he gets used to those too. Any tips on how to feed my hedgie better?

I also got him a water dispenser to save cage space.
The bedding I use is either wood pallets or fluffy paper bedding. But I was thinking about trying wood chips starting next month, I'm still not sure how safe it is.

And finally...I'm still afraid to clip his nails. He seems so fragile! How do you guys do it without hurting them?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Flyer saucer is safe but tends to break easily, LarryT on this forum makes the best wheels if you want to message him.

To the fruit and insects are you adding hedgehog food? Hedgehog food is garbage, cardboard is more nutrition than it. Dry cat food is better, read the stickies on top of the nutrition sub part of the forum, there is a lot of info in there.

Water bottles are not recommended, it's an unnatural way of drinking and can chip teeth, get tongues stuck and are harder to clean, the water bottle or bowl must be washed with water and soap every day.

Most people prefer fleece cage liners and others prefer wood, it's less messy and drying.

For the nails, use a baby nail clipper, some people do it at foot bath time and do one nail or 2 at a time, some others have someone old the hedgie while they do it, it's a matter of finding your way to do it, Ichiro lets me gold
Him in a washcloth between my body and my arm with one hand holding gis law and upping with the other and he doesn't move, Irene's are harder to handle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of hedgehog food are you feeding? Dried fruits and dried insects can both cause problems when eaten by a hedgehog.
I posted a pic of the product box in the attachment. it contains a mix of cereal, fruit, molluscs, shellfish, oils and fats, vegetables, insects (everything is dried), honey and minerals. The vet told me it's a good product :???:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Unfortunately vets are usually not terribly knowledgeable about food and nutrition. That food is really crappy, one of the worst hedgehog foods. Read over the stickies at the top of the nutrition forum, especially Beginner's Guide. That should help you find a better quality cat food to switch to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts