Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I was just wondering what everyone’s advice/plans were regarding New Years Noise and how to best avoid it for a hedgie?

I won’t be at home for a couple of hours that night so I’m either thinking of moving my hog’s playpen into the bathroom since it would be the most soundproof room in the house (neighbors will be doing fireworks), or leaving her at my boyfriend’s place since there would be no fireworks or noise around his area at all. I’m a little nervous about leaving her at my boyfriend’s place because she hasn’t been there before but I’m taking her playpen and assembling it over there, along with some of her blankies and my used shirts so she can at least come out to eat and wheel since she can recognize a familiar smell. She also didn’t come out to eat until after my neighbors stopped playing loud music during Christmas night so I’m also a little worried about that.

What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated, thank you! :)

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,210 Posts
Its really up to you, and what you see best for your hog.

My girl really doesnt care and will just be active through the noise if neighbours parties (which is pretty loud to me) and the fireworks.

But I know some people with hogs that are more nervous move them to the quietest place in the house.

Most of the time hogs are pretty okay if you have desentised them well. If she is new she will probably also still be okay if you just move her to the quieter room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its really up to you, and what you see best for your hog.

My girl really doesnt care and will just be active through the noise if neighbours parties (which is pretty loud to me) and the fireworks.

But I know some people with hogs that are more nervous move them to the quietest place in the house.

Most of the time hogs are pretty okay if you have desentised them well. If she is new she will probably also still be okay if you just move her to the quieter room.
Thank you for your reply! She’s still quite nervous around loud noises (also working on desensitizing her, promise!) so I think I’ll be taking her to my boyfriend’s for now. I’m trying to get her to gain some weight and I really want her to be able to eat without being scared to do so. He’s also excited to have her over lol

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,210 Posts
It takes a little while to desensitise them, leaving the radio on through the day will likely help.

Hope she did well last night!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It takes a little while to desensitise them, leaving the radio on through the day will likely help.

Hope she did well last night!
Hi Ria! So sorry I’m only getting back to you now, but she did incredibly well at my boyfriend’s place!! Porridge is still a baby (I think - 4 months old) and I was really nervous, but when we got back that night she was running on her wheel, ate, drank, and even pottied!

I’ll definitely try the radio. She’s currently sleeping on my chest while I play Animal Crossing and watching Netflix, so I’m hoping a little bit at a time would help :)

Thank you so much for your help, Happy New Year!!

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Glad to hear she did well. They can be quite very individualistic in how they react. I have had some who were fine, like nothing was different through the scariest of severe thunderstorms, and others who wouldn't get out of their beds, and greeted me the next morning by being quite the quilly beasts. Part of what really is so wonderful about hedgehog personalities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts