Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in love with hedgehogs for years. For my 30th birthday I finally got a baby girl. I hold her to bond every evening. I wait til she's awake, hold her and play a little and when she gets sleepy she sleeps in my shirt or on my neck. I noticed when she's in my shirt she bites and pulls at it then sleeps with it in her mouth. Similar to when cats "nurse" on blankets when they are making biscuits. Is this a normal thing? It's pretty cute but I want to make sure it doesn't indicate any issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been in love with hedgehogs for years. For my 30th birthday I finally got a baby girl. I hold her to bond every evening. I wait til she's awake, hold her and play a little and when she gets sleepy she sleeps in my shirt or on my neck. I noticed when she's in my shirt she bites and pulls at it then sleeps with it in her mouth. Similar to when cats "nurse" on blankets when they are making biscuits. Is this a normal thing? It's pretty cute but I want to make sure it doesn't indicate any issues.
It's 100% normal and adorable. I wish my hedgie would do that omg lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, this is normal! How did you get her to do that?

·
Registered
Her name is Lyra, she has the sweetest smile and is an explorer hedgie.
7 Posts
Mine does that sometimes, she bites at anything she can find and sometimes it includes a bit of my skin included in my shirt or pants.

I think she finds it soothing and maybe mimics her suckling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you have to bond with your hedgehog before she did that to you?
We are still bonding, I have only had her a few months. She is a grumpy girl but very shy around strangers. One thing I did was let her get comfy around my body.
This sounds weird lol but I'd place her on my chest and just let her be free and watch out for any signs of her trying to poop/pee. Then after some time she would settle for a warm cozy spot over my feet or on my chest,
It also gives you a chance to get used to their quills.

I hope this helps! Please reply if you have any questions or remarks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen people say to keep a separate place for them to use the loo because when they wake up they usually need to pee/poop. That doesn't work for me though because my heggie just falls asleep there. So I use a puppy training pad wherever I'll be with her and just let her do her business at first. She would try to run away but I place her back on the mat and after a few times of that she does her business and I get rid of the training pad. I do make sure that she has peed and pooped.
It does make her a little frustrated sometimes but afterwards we both are a lot calmer.
On the off chance she does not release everything and keeps a little surprise there is a little tell they are about to release something unholy. I found this little chart about hedgehog body language and it has helped me.
So a pooping sign my hedgehog does is she does a little squat and then her tail pops out and then you would have to be quick and either use an already opened training pad or her litter box and let her do her business.

Hair Hairstyle Jaw Organism Font

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've seen people say to keep a separate place for them to use the loo because when they wake up they usually need to pee/poop. That doesn't work for me though because my heggie just falls asleep there. So I use a puppy training pad wherever I'll be with her and just let her do her business at first. She would try to run away but I place her back on the mat and after a few times of that she does her business and I get rid of the training pad. I do make sure that she has peed and pooped.
It does make her a little frustrated sometimes but afterwards we both are a lot calmer.
On the off chance she does not release everything and keeps a little surprise there is a little tell they are about to release something unholy. I found this little chart about hedgehog body language and it has helped me.
So a pooping sign my hedgehog does is she does a little squat and then her tail pops out and then you would have to be quick and either use an already opened training pad or her litter box and let her do her business.

View attachment 96166
Ahh okay, Thanks a lot for replying!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Rosa, scared me when I found her with the fleece blanket in her mounth. She was in her cage. I am concern for her safety. I removed the blanket, but we use fleece blanket for her floor. Hope she will not do that no more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Rosa, scared me when I found her with the fleece blanket in her mounth. She was in her cage. I am concern for her safety. I removed the blanket, but we use fleece blanket for her floor. Hope she will not do that no more.
If she keeps doing it, You might want to switch to bedding. Hopefully she doesn't accidentally eat some of the fleece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes this is totally normal! My hedgehog bites and pulls at clothes, blankets and sheets as well but does not sleep with them in his mouth!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts