Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! just wanted to create a topic to introduce myself and my little hedgie!

My name's Ben, I'm 20 and I live and Montreal (I'm native french so my english can sometime be odd)

I just got my hedgehog and I'm pretty sad that my friends and family think that it is a boring animal since he's pretty shy and huffy when I try to show him to people.

I'll do my best to get him used to me and have the most socialized hedgehod. he comes from a breeder so I guess it will be easier then with one from a pet store

here's a picture of my little boy, Liam

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello, and welccome to HHC!
let me just say that you have quite the little cutie on your hands! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know :D I've already read a lot here and found the reason of his little biting problem! seems like he just want me to stop using AXE body wash (he literaly runs to my hand to lick it! I assume that he would try to bite me so I always blow on his face)

is there any way to teach him the difference between mealworms and finger?? lol ^^

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
NoOther1 said:
is there any way to teach him the difference between mealworms and finger?? lol ^^
A wonderful thing called tweezers :lol: My boy gets sooooo excited when he sees the tweezers. But ya, it's not always the greatest to hand feed mealies, just because of the difficult distinction, and it might cause your hedgie to think of your fingers as food.

So I would suggest a treat bowl at all times, or tweezers.

And congrats!!!! ^_^ He's a real cutie

·
Registered
106 Posts
welcome and what a sweet lovely little hedgie Liam is - just wanted to add that is you really want to hand feed your hedgie mealies and they keep nipping your fingers - put them on the palm of your hand like you would with a horse and keep it flat - they cant get a grip to bite you then and it tempts them to walking up onto your hand

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome!

NoOther1 said:
I just got my hedgehog and I'm pretty sad that my friends and family think that it is a boring animal since he's pretty shy and huffy when I try to show him to people.
Just wanted to say that my friends think the same about my little mr grump! However, it far from means he's boring, it just means that only i really get to see all the fun stuff he does, like peeking out from the curtain & running at 100mph on his wheel! Makes him only my special little hedgie. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
he's a cutie ^-^ my friends say the same thing about my hedgie being boring. but i enjoy her so it doesn't matter. btw Liam is one of my all time favorite names. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my first hedgie a month ago. Most of my co-workers make fun of me for having one just because they aren’t like cats or dogs, but Snuffles was at work one day and EVERYONE had to have a peak. They are all secretly jealous of our hedgehogs!!! Congrats on Liam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the comments!

I just tried to roll him up in his blanket while I was watching tv. I put my arm in the blanket to always have a contact with him so he get used to my smell and to give him some warmth by the same way. I think that would help to create the bond between us

what do you think? should I continue to do this or let him sleep in peace?

·
Registered
594 Posts
NoOther1 said:
thanks for all the comments!

I just tried to roll him up in his blanket while I was watching tv. I put my arm in the blanket to always have a contact with him so he get used to my smell and to give him some warmth by the same way. I think that would help to create the bond between us

what do you think? should I continue to do this or let him sleep in peace?
I personally think it's a good idea, that's what I done with Shelby, and now she's one of the sweetest calmest Hedgehogs I've seen. When I got her she stayed balled up all the time and everything would scare her, and wouldn't let anyone pet her. Now she loves everyone, and she loves to cuddle with me on the bed.
She also loves to sneak and pee under mommy's pillow too :?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hello and welcome to hhc, I am also pretty new to the forum, I have yet to give Sonic some mealies, though he loves grasshoppers and crickets. I try to give him one once a week, though I only had him for a week today lol, I would upload a picture if it would let me... But my pictures are too large (1200x800 taken with my black berry) and sadly my computer is too slow to upload them to the computer, so it could be a bit before I can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts