Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. I just wanted to say how helpful this site has been. My daughter who just turned 9 has wanted a hegdie for years. Long story short I told her if she wanted on to save her $$$ up and learn alot about them. Well she got her little guy last monday 7/13. He is about 9 weeks old and she calls him Prickles.
She slept with a piece of fleece for a few days until we got him and then put it in his cage with him. She feeds him gives him fresh water and hold him often.
Routine is something like this: 7pm go in room and talk to Prickles while doing other things.
7:30 ish open cage change water/food
8-8:30 or 45 play-hold-bond.
then put him back in his cage and get self ready for bed:)
She had a question though....When she holds hm she still uses a piece of thin blanket (similar thickness of a recieveing blanket for babies) to pick him up and put him back in his cage. He is quilling at the moment and still getting used to us. She uses the blanket because when he huffs and puffs she feels like she has a better hold on him. Once out he quickly calms down and puts down his quills. Is it ok for her to use the blanket like this while they are both adjusting? She radly loves the little guy and wants to make sure she get things right. (p.s. I supervise all care and interaction at the moment as she is only 9 but very rsponsible)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC, and congrats on your family's new little guy!

It sounds like your daughter is going great with him. Many owners hold their hedgies in a blanket, firstly because of the poop factor, and second to make their hedgies and themselves more comfortable. The blanket most likely helps Prickles feel more secure with her, which is a good thing for bonding.

So yes, the blanket is perfectly fine. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts