Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I brought home our new baby hedgehog this weekend!!
Her name is June-Bug (after Juno ofcourse) and she seems very sweet. DH and I got her friday and left her pretty much alone until last night. She was being very sweet last night and went back and forth from me and him to explore us. but then she pooped on me... so she went back in her cage for a little while. lol
but over all it seems that she is warming up to us!

does anyone have any advice to us first time hedgehog owners?

Please anything that you think I might not know would be helpfull!

·
Administrator
3,677 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of hedgehogs. For the most part just read through the forum and you will learn a ton about what life is like with hedgehogs, what to expect and what to do and not to do.

And get used to the poop! If you have a baby hedgehog you will be pooped on. With youngsters I tended to keep them on a blanket I use only for the hedgehogs most of the time so that my clothing or furniture was not being soiled.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition!

A healthy hedgehog is a happy hedgehog, I would start with ensuring your housing is warm enough for her (see Housing and Accessories section) and that she is eating good food. (see Reapers List of Cat foods in Health section).

Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to this Hedgehog Community! This board has proven to be the best resource I have found in questions or concerns about hedgies. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped (and continues to help) me! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much. and yes I have been reading everything, I started last monday and now everytime I am bored at work I get on and start reading. there is alot of good info on here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This forum is a great place for all hedgehog owners, new and experienced. I also have my first hedgie now, got him a few months ago, and have learned SO much from Hedgehog Central. I was already lurking the boards before I even got him, hehe. Just look through the different areas of the forum and read the sticky threads on each board for some great basic information, and never be afraid to ask questions! The Search bar at the top is also pretty useful, unless you search something like "mites" and it tells you you're being too broad. :roll:

Congratulations on your new baby! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello :D and welcome.

Congrats on your new baby aswel.

Does your hedgie have a wheel and is it the biggest size?

Also random i know but baby hedgies poop is very stinky but it does get less stinky the older they are, thats what i noticed hehe.

Have you read about quill loss? Thats something that happens in babies pretty much within a few weeks of getting them.

Happy reading :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much & yes she has a 12 inch wheel although I am thinking about getting a cake topper wheel bc the one I have has lines in it where the poopie gets stuck. & makes it hard to clean.
and yes I have read about qill loss, although june is loosing alot she doesnt seem bitchy at all...

again thanks so much.
I will try to put pictures up asap. I just always forget to take some when I am playing with her.

:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you get a cake topper wheel, please don't purchase the Cake Walk Supreme. The owner of that website has been accepting peoples' money and neglecting to deliver the wheels for months now. It is likely that he has no intention of getting the wheels to the people who paid for them.

There is another thread in the For Sale group where a different member is selling cake topper wheels. I'd recommend you buy yours there instead. I am. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome! You can start off my reading the sticky threads in each forum, and then reading other posts. If you have a question about something like bedding you can type in "bedding" in the Housing thread and it will pull up the relevant posts. For now the most important thing is heating and lighting. Hedgehogs need 12 hours of light, natural or artificial, and a cage temp of 72-78 degrees Fahrenheit. Lizardgirl has an awesome post about heating in the Housing thread.

I hope you post some photos of your new little one soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.