Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There, I've recently got an 8 week old chocolate hoglet and am looking for some help regarding her care!

I have baught the Duna plastic cage but I really think it's to small for her, what do yous think?

also the hedgehog seems very timid, puffing loudly and even growling last night, I left her in the cage 24 hours before trying to handle her, she seems fine at night as the food disapears and the cage is re-aranged, but I cant really get her to excerice when I wake her cause shes so scared, I wake her around 6.30 pm and this is my 4th day with her.

Also is a shelf an ok place for her to be, do you think the light from my TV could stress her?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm finding her a little bit difficult to keep now, she sleeps all day unless I wake her and only eats her food when everyones sleeping. I fill up her bowl and she eats it all which I'm not sure if very healthy considering the amount of excercise she is getting, I realise I need to handle her everyday until she gets used to my scent etc, but it's very hard as she is constantly trying to squirm away after she comes out of her ball, when she squirms I have to end up putting her down as she will fall off (I need to pick her up with a towel), when i put her down she goes striaght to her bed and stays there for the rest of the night!

I wasn't expecting her to jump through hoops or greet me as I walk up to her cage, but she knows it's me who feeds her, she doesnt mind my hand being in the cage as she always sniffs at it and occaisonaly walks on it as shes walking past to get back in her bed, but I can't pick her up without her doing that annoying puffing ball thing, and even when she comes out I get nowhere, I can't put her on the floor as she will try to hide away under something, if i put her on my bed it would be the pillows, if I put her on the floor it would be under the shelfs, I've tried blocking all the possible hide away places with DVD cases but she still looks and looks until she eventually finds, I really want to bond with her but I'm beggining to wonder why I've bothered, she was suppost to have a "beautiful nature" but all I'm getting so far is squirming away :(

Do your hedgehogs go into a ball when you pick them up even after quite a while of having them? Please Help!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.