Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
Im from Croatia and I need some help :) (sorry if my english is not so good)
As far as I know I'm the only person in our country that owns a hedgehog...they are not forbiten,there's just not enyone that breads african hedgehogs around hear.We bought him in Slovenia.
This forum has taught me alot !!!
I have a 9 weaks old Iko Piko :) We have him for 5 days now.
He is albino male,wery cute,but wery scared. Does this mean that he had zero of breathers love and atencion when he was with his mom,so he's not familiar with people's touch? Or he's just like that?
I'm not looking for a "cat" in my hedgehog, but I would like to hold him in my hand without him being a ball and puffing on me. What are the canses that he will walk and do things when I'm close to him?

And I hawe a question about bath. I saw that you recomand Aveeno bath,but In our country we dont have it. Can you tell me some other brand of shampoo that I can use??

Photos of my baby ;) ...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Since you don't have the Aveeno there you can put regular Oatmeal into a sock and tie it. Then just let the sock soak in the water. Its best to start out with a tiny bit of water in the bathtub or sink because a lot of hedgies can be scared of the water. You can put something non slip in the tub for him to stand on and then gentally pour cups of water over his neck and back as well. The main things is you want to avoid getting your hedgies face and ears wet if possible and you'll want to make sure he doesn't get scared by too much water. If your hedgie ends up liking the water you can add a little bit more at each bathtime if he likes to swim but always giving him a place he can rest at.

Your hedgie is soo adorable and welcome to hhc :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new hedgehog!

If you are patient and spend time letting him get to know your scent, he should get much more comfortable with you. While some hedgies are very reclusive and never end up liking people, most will come around with time. From the pictures he doesn't look too scared, I'd say you have a good chance. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for ansers very much! :)
This are the only photos of him that he's not a ball..the first photo is one of 3 times that I'v seen his face in 6 days. I dont iven have to touch him...if he just see's me he's "a ball" and he stay's like that for a looong long time.
We have lots time to bond..the only thing that I'm afraid of is giving him a bath because i wory that he woun't stand in the tub..?? Will he stand ih the wather iven if I'm next to him? I dont wont him to drown..Can something hapen to him? Or he will stand when he feals the water around him?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most likely he will stand when he feels the water, but always keep an eye on him. If its his first bath then he will probably stay at the shallow end of the water. He will also try to climb up your arm, or use your hands as support to get out of the water as much as possible. He is going to poop in the water... ALOT!!! When you think he is done you can empty the water and fill it up again. Chances are the hedgehog will poop again, but its okay. Use a toothbrush and whatever wash you are using and brush with his spikes. Drying him is the hardest part because he will probably try to roll into a ball in your hand. I have found that it is easier when you have him in a towel and let him rest on your had while you rub his tummy. Just MAKE SURE he is COMPLETELY dry before you put him in the cage if not he will stay cold and wet. Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Just keep in mind to place him in the water slowly...some hedgehogs hate water or are in a ball so tight that they won't immediately unball and their face is underwater. When I put Lily in, I turn her so she's going in hind end first, and I keep a hand under her chin to make sure she keeps her nose up out of the water until she gets her feet under her.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lily makes a very good point (as usual). Some hedgehogs... (I am not going to name name's... *cough* PoPo...*cough*) are quite the dramatic ones when being placed in the water and will dunk their faces in. Lily did give great instructions on how to handle this.

As for your little pink-nosed friend being huffy and puffy, I suggest patience. Patience is extremely important in the process of bonding with your new pal. As LG pointed out, your little guy actually doesn't look that terrified (at least in the pictures) and is showing some face instead of just visor quills, which is a good sign! I think in time, he will become more used to his new environment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok! Thank's one more time for all your help! I will post how it went when will have our first bath ;)

I olso have 4 rabbits. One of them just jumped on the sofa next to Iko Piko (I was on the other side of the room..because Iko Piko doesent want to walk when I'm next to him)and he wasn't scared :!: He didnt "became a ball" :D

...(I hope you all dont have much problem with reading my post's.. :oops: )

Pusa from Iko Piko :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts