Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1 year old male hedgehog today, since I brought him home he's been breathing quickly and doing a little jump thing constantly... He's slept a bit but I'm still a little worried... Is this something I should look deeper into? Or is it just the stress of moving?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It freaked me out the first time too. I thought, that can't be healthy.

But all it is fear and he will be fine. He's just scared. The jumping is normal too. He might also click and jump at you which is just him trying to frighten you away.

Does he have an igloo or blanket to hide under? He might be to scared to move to them if you placed him in a cage. Very gently pick him up (with fleece or a towel if you have to) and place him in there.

If he lets you can also check him over to make sure he isn't hurt. No strings or hair wrapped around feet or toes.

Other than that just give him some time to get used to his surroundings.

Did you do the t-shirt trick?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It freaked me out the first time too. I thought, that can't be healthy.

But all it is fear and he will be fine. He's just scared. The jumping is normal too. He might also click and jump at you which is just him trying to frighten you away.

Does he have an igloo or blanket to hide under? He might be to scared to move to them if you placed him in a cage. Very gently pick him up (with fleece or a towel if you have to) and place him in there.

If he lets you can also check him over to make sure he isn't hurt. No strings or hair wrapped around feet or toes.

Other than that just give him some time to get used to his surroundings.

Did you do the t-shirt trick?
We have heard about the t-shirt trick but are in the process of finding a good shirt with our scent on it

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I just use my sleeping shirts. I sleep in it for about three days, put it in the cage, sleep in another shirt, take the dirty one out and replace it. My hedgies are never with out a shirt to sleep in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just use my sleeping shirts. I sleep in it for about three days, put it in the cage, sleep in another shirt, take the dirty one out and replace it. My hedgies are never with out a shirt to sleep in.
The old owner has a little piece of fleese in where he sleeps, should we replace that with our scents?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts