Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day before yesterday, my friend had surprised me with a hedgehog and at first he was normally up all night and asleep all day.. occasionally waking up for a few minutes, but last night and all day today he was asleep and hadn't woken up, I had to wake him up a few times so he can eat and stuff but then he would go straight back to bed.. he is STILL sleeping and it's 12 in the morning. I know that baby hedges usually sleep a lot but my hedge is 2 years old. I keep the temperature at 72, but can he still try to go into hibernation or is this because he is in a new environment??

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Agreed with the temperature, I'd try boosting it a degree or two and see if it helps. Keep in mind, though, that most hedgehogs will not come out if there are any lights on or if you're in the room. If you're hovering over his cage or have lights on in the room, that could very well be why he hasn't come out. If he's a baby (less than 6 months), babies also sleep a lot, & are often only awake for a few hours during the night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ! And I'm not exactly sure what to use to heat the cage but I did put a small blanket on top of it, just in case it did get cold... If that would actually help. But I will definitely raise the heat!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can either get a space heater to bump up the temp, or a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) set up if you don't want the whole room heated. I believe most people here on the forum use a CHE set-up (myself included).

For a CHE set up, you'll need a 100- or 150- watt bulb, a 8.5" or 10" dome, a thermostat to turn on/off the CHE when it gets too cold/hot, and a thermometer specifically for the cage if you don't already have one. Make sure the CHE bulb doesn't emit any kind of light - it should be either white or black and usually has a flat face. You can get all of these on Amazon for a good price (and free two-day shipping if you have Prime!).

You can also use bump up your central heating system, but that gets expensive and you'll have to manually turn it on/off to prevent the cage from getting too cold or overheating.

Try to avoid using heat pads or heating stones because they don't warm the air, which hedgies need, and it only warms a certain part of the cage which can cause hedgies to not want to move from there. Sometimes hedgies can also get burns from laying on a heating pad too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts