Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hedgehog, Polly, from a coworker about two months ago. But she's having a hard time warming up to my fiancee and I. Any time we try to touch her, she starts hissing and curls up. I know my coworker didn't spend a lot of time with her, but I've had her out for at least an hour every night. There's only been one or two nights when I wasn't home to take her out. Sometimes when I hold her, she'll climb up onto my shoulder, but the slightest movement and she starts hissing. If I move very slowly and she's in a good mood,I can sometimes stroke the side of her face once or twice before she tucks her head down. What are some good ways to help her bond with us? We set her on the floor with us and all she does is finds a place to burrow under, usually trying to get under one of our legs. I've tried giving her treats, but she won't take them, she just puts her head down and hisses. She absolutely hates baths as well. I'm trying really hard to let her relax and feel at home, but so far she's not really having any of it. Any advice, please?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Couple of questions. How old is she? When you take her out do you have a bonding blanket or something for her to hide under? What time are you taking her out? Is it the same time everyday?

Since she always seems to want to burrow, she will definitely feel more comfortable hiding under something. If she falls asleep in your lap while under or in something, this is still considered bonding.

A routine will also help so she knows what to expect at a certain time.

Right now, I have one of my adults in my lap and every time I move or click the keyboard to hard she jumps and hisses. I've only had her for about 3 weeks. I just keep working with her. She doesn't like to be pet or moved or woken up or fed. :lol: Just a normal hedgehog that hopefully will be a little sweetie with some work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't be sad yet! It takes some work to bond. Some hedgies take longer to adjust and some are just grumpy in general. Like the previous people have said bonding bags are a good idea. I used a fleece blanket with Penelope. And even though Penelope has been home for for about 3 months now she will still huff and put up her head spikes and some sudden movement or noises. She is very comfortable with us, but i think hedgies will always have that defensive instinct. My boyfriend is braver than I am and even when she gets spikey he nudges her until she opens up. She recognizes us by scent now so she usually un-balls once she realizes who it is lol. Just keep up the bonding and don't get discouraged! patience is a virtue!
Good luck! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts