Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My name is Jennifer. As of Saturday, I became the proud owner of my first hedgehog, a beautiful little chocolate pinto that I got from a wonderful breeder. I have decided to call her Annabelle. I don't have any pictures yet (she is a bit skittish in front of the camera!) but I think she is already warming up to me. The first day I had her I handled her only once, and she was very huffy and disoriented so I kept the session short. Yesterday, she curled up in a towel that I have been using to handle her and took a nap on me while I watched TV. It was so funny, she was laying flat on her belly with all four feet sprawled out - she stayed like that for a couple hours. I couldn't believe it! She spends most of her day sleeping, but she's only a few months old. I got her some mealworms, but she is not interested in them yet.

I do have a couple questions, though. (worrisome "new mom" stuff, lol.)

1) Do hedgehogs vomit? I am most experienced with horses and rats, neither of which are capable of vomiting. But when I coaxed Annabelle out of her cage when I got her home, I noticed a puddle of what looked like half-digested kibble in the back of the carrier. she promptly ate it... which was gross. Just curious on this one.

2) What are the best products to use for the weekly top-to-bottom cage cleaning? I have non-bleach Clorox wipes. Would those be all right to use on the bottom of the cage as long as I rinse thoroughly afterward?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LizardGirl said:
She spends most of her day sleeping, but she's only a few months old.
I'm assuming you already know this, but hedgehogs are nocturnal. She will always spend her day sleeping, and will be up at night. :)
Haha yeah I knew that. What I meant is that she spends all day AND most of the night sleeping. She's a very sleepy little girl! She usually wakes up around 3 AM and is back in bed by 5.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.