Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My name is Jennifer. As of Saturday, I became the proud owner of my first hedgehog, a beautiful little chocolate pinto that I got from a wonderful breeder. I have decided to call her Annabelle. I don't have any pictures yet (she is a bit skittish in front of the camera!) but I think she is already warming up to me. The first day I had her I handled her only once, and she was very huffy and disoriented so I kept the session short. Yesterday, she curled up in a towel that I have been using to handle her and took a nap on me while I watched TV. It was so funny, she was laying flat on her belly with all four feet sprawled out - she stayed like that for a couple hours. I couldn't believe it! She spends most of her day sleeping, but she's only a few months old. I got her some mealworms, but she is not interested in them yet.

I do have a couple questions, though. (worrisome "new mom" stuff, lol.)

1) Do hedgehogs vomit? I am most experienced with horses and rats, neither of which are capable of vomiting. But when I coaxed Annabelle out of her cage when I got her home, I noticed a puddle of what looked like half-digested kibble in the back of the carrier. she promptly ate it... which was gross. Just curious on this one.

2) What are the best products to use for the weekly top-to-bottom cage cleaning? I have non-bleach Clorox wipes. Would those be all right to use on the bottom of the cage as long as I rinse thoroughly afterward?

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Hi and welcome to HHC and congratulations on your new lil girl. I am thinking that she vomited on the way home? since you said it was in the carrier, if so, and she hasn't done it since, I would say she just got carsick which happens sometimes and isn't anything to worry about. Most use vinegar and water to clean their cages, or dish soap with a vinegar and water rinse. I try to avoid any type of "cleaners" as they contain chemicals.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
She spends most of her day sleeping, but she's only a few months old.
I'm assuming you already know this, but hedgehogs are nocturnal. She will always spend her day sleeping, and will be up at night. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LizardGirl said:
She spends most of her day sleeping, but she's only a few months old.
I'm assuming you already know this, but hedgehogs are nocturnal. She will always spend her day sleeping, and will be up at night. :)
Haha yeah I knew that. What I meant is that she spends all day AND most of the night sleeping. She's a very sleepy little girl! She usually wakes up around 3 AM and is back in bed by 5.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My little guy slept that much! He wouldn't even play, he just slept, work up to eat and pee and poo, then went back to sleep :lol: He stopped sleeping so much now, but still likes to slumber quite a lot :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I am also a New Mommie. Well technically my Fiance is a new Daddy! I got a hedgie for him from a small beeder a couple days ago and she is most adorable. We named her Snickers! (after the candy bar) lol. Our little girl is actually quite sweet and friendly. She was only scared of us the first night, but has since opened up. She DOES sleep quite a lot. But I think its mostly because we keep her with us at different times through out the day and night, so she isnt sleeping in long drawn out periods. She is also only two months and two days old, so I have read that they do sleep a lot. I have not watched her at night, but she doesnt come active in her cage till after 2 am either. And by the time we wake up she is back asleep which is after 8 am. She has not been eating much though, that I am worried, I will be counting tonight how much food she is given and how much is gone tomorrow. The breeder said they were brought up on a bottle, but Im reading so much how everyone in here uses a bowl, and she doesnt seem to drink from it either, so I might switch to a bowl tonight. She has gotten used to us quite fast as we pick her up without her curling up into a ball and she doesnt squirm or yell at us. Except when we first wake her up in the morning in her cage then she hisses at us a tad, but thats it. Last night she nudged up against my hands and cuddled against them and sprawled out with legs all out on my tummy for a couple hours. It was soooooo adorable watching her dream. She is still a bit skiddish when we get a finger too close to the fce she rolls her "Eyebrows" (thats what it looks like lol) over her eyes but then comes back out. lol. So far she wont take any treats from us, but thats probably the trust thing, or she could just be too little yet. We are going to get some Mealies for her today. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.