Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I have a new little hedgehog named Norman. He is slowly warming up to us and starting to show his personality (He seems to run a lot but calms down every now and then). Anyway, I was looking over the forum and had a few quick questions that I didn't see answers for. If anyone could provide some insight, I would be very appreciative.

1. We have to go away for a night this week. I understand that it is fine to leave enough food for the extra night and that Norman will be fine. For future knowledge though, how long would be the maximum that you would be able to do this? 1 or 2 days or is longer ok? I just want to be sure.

2. How much water do these little guys usually drink? The breeder raised him on a bottle but he doesn't seem to be drinking all that much. I will provide a bowl if I need to, I just wanted to ask.

3. The wheel...is a mess...every day. He doesn't seem to go anywhere else. It is pretty difficult to scrub out the comfort wheel every day. I tried using glade press and seal and just taking it off but that really didn't save any time. I understand that this is inevitable but I wondered if any of you had any helpful clean-up hints.

4. Norman also doesn't seem interested in playing with anything and doesn't look to be having much fun at all. I tried some cat toys, toilet paper rolls, some things to climb over and he just either runs around looking for an escape or just hides. I know this is fine and that it's his personality for now, I just wanted to ask if any of you had similar tempered hedgehogs and have any suggestions for what Norman might have fun with!

Thanks for the help!
Craig

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a pretty new owner myself but I can offer some advice, etc., on some of your questions.

2. I would suggest that you use a bowl for water instead of the bottle. Others have said that bottles can sometimes create injuries like tooth loss. I've been using a bowl for Popple and she uses it just fine. A little ceramic bowl works great.

3. Wheels just get messy. It's gonna be part of your day to clean them. I wouldn't say to put plastic wrap on it because his nails might get caught on it and it can result in injury.

4. Popple didn't seem to be that interest in toys either at first. I just kept putting them in and in the morning I noticed that they would be moved around; she has but her ball in her food bowl twice and her stuffed mouse in her water bowl once ( I guess she was just sharing ). So just leave the toys in he may eventually grow to like them.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey! Congrats on the little guy!!!! And pictures are a definate MUST ^_^
I'm sorta new to the hedgie world as well, but I'll try to answer what I can.

1) Actaully, it's not recommended to leave your hedgehog alone for even a full day&night. This is because they require a specific temperature, and going below that can lead to a potentially fatal hibernation state, and going above that can lead to a slightly less dangerous, yet concerning state of "heat" hibernation(I can't think of the word off the top of my head).
It's not recommended because various things can happen within 24 hours. Whether it be heat source malfuntioning, or the power going out. Snuggle safe discs only provide about 8 hours of heat, so having that as a precaution only works for overnight. Even though he SHOULD be fine for a day, it's still something to worry about if something happens to the heat. Most (cold) hibernation states have happened within the span of a day, or night, with the owner being able to immediately warm their hedgehogs up. So a full day and night might be fatal.

2) Water consumption varies with each hedgie. I always fill my bowl up to slightly above the indent line and mine will drink till it's a bit below the line. There's actually a thread going on about bowls and bottles http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1755 It gives different view on the using of each.

3) Do you soak the wheel first? I have a flying saucer and I usually just soak it with anti-bac soup and water for a few minutes, and it scrubs off just fine.

4) My hedgie isn't interested in playing with anything either. I've had him for 4 months now, and when I have him out, all he wants to do is snuggle up to me and sleep. He ignores his balls and tp roll in his cage, and ignores them when he's out as well. He'll push them around for about a few minutes, but then he'd find his source of heat(me) and sleep :lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
3) I use Green Works Multi Surface cleaner....Set the wheel in the tub, spray, let sit for 30 minutes, rinse out with shower sprayer, takes about 5 minutes of spraying, no scrubbing usually....and i have a comfort wheel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It takes me only about 5 mins to wash both of the Comfort Wheels I have. I just put them in the bath tub with some warm soapy water and use a little nail brush and it takes no time at all to wash them.

I have both a bowl and a bottle for my two and they both drink out of both of them depending on which part of the cage they are in.

·
Registered
414 Posts
ccp4 said:
Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I have a new little hedgehog named Norman. He is slowly warming up to us and starting to show his personality (He seems to run a lot but calms down every now and then). Anyway, I was looking over the forum and had a few quick questions that I didn't see answers for. If anyone could provide some insight, I would be very appreciative.

1. We have to go away for a night this week. I understand that it is fine to leave enough food for the extra night and that Norman will be fine. For future knowledge though, how long would be the maximum that you would be able to do this? 1 or 2 days or is longer ok? I just want to be sure.
For a night do you mean leaving in the afternoon, then coming back the next morning? If so, there shouldn't be a problem with that. You can get handwarmers that last 8-10 hours, wrap it in cloth to keep the chances of burns down, and you can put one in the cage in case of emergency. You need to be sure you're back to check feetsies and legs in the morning. If you're going to be gone more than 12-18 hours, you really should have someone swing by and check on things. If you have to leave for a few days at a time, it's best to have someone come check on the hedgie and feed/water or to have them take the cage to their house. Leave a caresheet and emergency contact numbers for you and the vet. Anything you'd leave for a kid, leave for a hedgie--and more!

ccp4 said:
2. How much water do these little guys usually drink? The breeder raised him on a bottle but he doesn't seem to be drinking all that much. I will provide a bowl if I need to, I just wanted to ask.
I've noticed my guy drinks a lot more from a bowl than a bottle. I would recommend switching to a bowl.

ccp4 said:
3. The wheel...is a mess...every day. He doesn't seem to go anywhere else. It is pretty difficult to scrub out the comfort wheel every day. I tried using glade press and seal and just taking it off but that really didn't save any time. I understand that this is inevitable but I wondered if any of you had any helpful clean-up hints.
Soaking really seems to be the best solution. (I switched to a flying saucer and it's so much easier to clean, so I'm not much help when it comes to comfort wheels.)

ccp4 said:
4. Norman also doesn't seem interested in playing with anything and doesn't look to be having much fun at all. I tried some cat toys, toilet paper rolls, some things to climb over and he just either runs around looking for an escape or just hides. I know this is fine and that it's his personality for now, I just wanted to ask if any of you had similar tempered hedgehogs and have any suggestions for what Norman might have fun with!
I put an oats container in the cage with strips of fleece in it for a dig tunnel, and he rolls that thing around and digs and digs in it. Other than that, he won't play with toys in his cage. If I take him out and put him in a playpen he'll play with craft foam tunnels, though! He just doesn't want to do it unless it's outside his cage for some reason.

Congratulations on your hedgie, and welcome to HHC. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts