Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

So here is the story. I got 2 Hedgies for my kids +- 4 months ago... brother... or so we were told. Surprise surprise Wednesday evening i went to check on them and fill the food ect and one looked odd, pulling something odd around..She (he) has had a baby.

Now i am relativly new to the Hedgehog world and learn as i go and read up on them when i have a change. But never bothered with having babies

Now mommy and baby have been removed from daddy in a warm dry enviroment, i make sure she always has fresh food and water, because apparently new moms sometimes dont eat so i am keeping tabs. Baby seems ok... looks healthy moving about, not making any noises.

But tonight.. tonight she is acting strangely. She has escaped and attacked a packet of salt and vinegar crisps licking it as if she is craving it. She is walking about in her cage acting very unsettled.
Now i dont know if its a problem (not the crisps..i know its a big no no) but what could be wrong?
Could baby be draining her?
What can i give her to replenish her salts?
I have a "rodent" multi vitamin, can i give her some?
Please help. I wont beable to hand rare baby...

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
I am not a breeder, or experienced in anyway, and I do hope someone comes and helps you soon!

I just really wanted to give you some information for future in the mean time.

- Hedgehogs are solitary animals, and you should have had the two seperated anyway.
Two boys being kept together generally means fights and can cause serious injuries and death, two sisters can be okay sometimes but generally not, and not really recommended for newer owners. Male and female never together not unless you want to breed.

- As much as you want to trust breeders and things, always check before you leave. A male has what looks like a belly button, this is their man bits, and females do not have this best easy cleary tell tale of male and female.

- You should be weighing your hedgehogs weekly to record weight, see if they get sudden wight gain or loss or if the are still a steady weight. This is important, sudden weight loss can indicate they are not eating, or they are but they are still loosing weight, ideally at this you want to go to a exotic vet that knows aph's.

Now I know I am not experienced this is just the small amount I have read about:
  • Mum and babies shouldn't be touched for the first like 2 weeks (could be longer) and just left alone, only adding food and bedding.
  • When you changed them to a new cage you took all her smells out which could easily stress them out as you arent supposed to clean them out for the first 2 weeks.

Theres is a section here about emergency baby advice which might help you with what to do.
I would suggest, a good thing to do, even if you get someone with more experience, to help you, that you call your exotic vet and get some advice there as it could take them a short or a long while to see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply.

So instictivly i did the right thing to a degree
Thank goodness.

But she keeps escaping, so i consider that she wants a time out, very bizarre behaviour for an animal that should be so very possessive. And this creates a situation of more contact that is considered right/safe.

But i am staying away from baby as much as possible my closest contact is when i return mommy.

What is adding to bizzarre behaviour is it seems baby is following the smell of the soft food and today id swear baby was eating it... it sound unreal.. but i put the food in and baby litterally moves toward the bowl..that confuses me.

When mommy escaped she acts all upset and angry when i pick her up and then i put her back, and then i catch her again. I am worried that if i dont catch her baby wont feed as needed.

I may be over reacting but mom and baby health and safety is important to be.

I will contact my local vet tomorrow and ask them.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
You could try adding nesting material, basically a lot of loose bedding, or just ripped up kitchen towel, whatever is best for you, let her make a proper nest this may help mum relax a bit more.

I think the biggest thing is not touching baby for 2 weeks so it still smells of mum so she does carry on caring for it.

Honestly even if you are its better to be more cautious especially when you don't know about the subject than to care free and end up with harm to one or both of them

Your vet they will be much more help than me!
I hope it all works out good.
You will need 3 separate enclosures for each of them though, then this will never happen again, plus they are happier alone being solitary animals.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would also suggest contacting the breeder that you got the hedgies from and asking for their advice, and/or if they would like to have the baby hedgehog, or can help you care for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts