Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put down my deposit for my new family member who will be delivered in 15 days. I have done some research and I am sure I still have a lot to learn. I will be going shopping this weekend for supplies. We will be doing the build your own cage with the corticated floors and walls so that It will be big enough for him. I am stuck as to the litter tray or liner for this. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated as I want to have it all set up for him. Also do you prefer a heat lamp or heating pad. I live in az so 78 degrees is not an issue that often. Thank you for any and all advice you can give me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello and welcome! You must be so excited!

A few tips for you that I have are below:

-Make sure your cage has a lid, hedgies are surprisingly good climbers
-It is personal preference, but I use fleece liners and a litter pan. I love fleece liners because they look good, can't be spilt or put in water dishes, and look adorable. Not all hedgehogs use litterboxes, but mine actually uses it almost all the time. It helps slightly reduce the frequency of cage cleans and keeps waste is a concentrated area.
-Heating pads can burn our quilled pets, so CHEs (Ceramic Heat Emitters) are the best option. 78 is actually about perfect, so you are right that it would not be a big issue.

If you have any questions, please ask! Everyone on here is very helpful!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello! Congrats!!

When you get your cage, make sure that the little hedgie isn't able to climb the bars. A fall could be dangerous for a hedgehog, depending on the height. Their little paws can also get caught in the bars and it can hurt them. My little fella, Napoleon, twisted his ankle on the bars of his cage while climbing. At the time I thought nothing of it. He's healed since then and I've made improvements to the cage. It's a simple fix. If you notice cage climbing, fix it as soon as you are able to!! I wish you luck with the new hedgie!

·
Registered
13 Posts
They are very good climbers. I woke up to my hedgie about to jump off the side of his cage his first night. I learned quick and thank god he's housed in my bedroom. Mine loves fleece liners. I also got some incontinence pads (for humans) for the bottom of his cage. It makes it very easy to clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are bringing home our little guy on Friday. Have a few things yet to make for his cage, however was thinking what do you use to hold hedgie beside a cuddle bag. Was thinking a baby blanket or something like that for my lap while on the couch.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We are bringing home our little guy on Friday. Have a few things yet to make for his cage, however was thinking what do you use to hold hedgie beside a cuddle bag. Was thinking a baby blanket or something like that for my lap while on the couch.
Please do not post the same question twice, it creates confusion and clutter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing I don't suggest is getting a water bottle get a heavy water dish instead hedgies can cut their tongues and hurt their eye on the spout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts