Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just an introduction! My name is Cassandra and this is my new baby!

Charlie is now 10 weeks old and has been adjusting very well! He is already learning where not to poop! After the past two weeks he has really started to open up and everyday it seems like he is trusting me more and more. He is really shy around my boyfriend and pretty huffy but he is also quilling, and doesn't see him much. He is pretty calm around me, especially when treats and warm snuggles are involved. He is more of an explorer when awake and LOVES his wheel more than anything else. So happy he is in my life and I can't wait to see how our friendship blossoms! <3 Colours and physically speaking I would say I love his one pink foot best! He also has one cluster/spot of white quills on his back....oh and his dark bandit face suits him so well!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone. My name is cheryl and I just own a 3 months old hedgehog named Skypie! And I got him 2 days back. Today is the first time I saw him poop. Isit suppose to be look like that ? Or is he sick or something ? I'm worried as heck. Cause I check
Online his poop is different from others.

Furthermore, he does not take treats from me and he does not seem like eating :/ need your help guys

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good boy! I wish my baby not afraid of us like yours...how did you manage to have him warm up so quickly?
I spend a lot of time snuggling him in his snuggle sac and handling him. I give him treats ONLY when we are interacting and never push him to do anything. I do things in steps and some things take longer than others, we move mostly at his pace. I see a little improvement everyday and it makes me so happy seeing him learn to trust me. He is good around other people, as i found out yesterday, but he prefers to be held by me or not at all. I also provide a lot of enrichment with playtime introducing him yo new things and noises all the time, and I feed him during our hang out time as well. I also put an old t shirt that smells like me in his cage next to his igloo. Basically he is learning that my smell and voice mean safety and food (also forehead pets...he loves those) and that the world isn't scary after all. when we cuddle I move around lots so he gets used to sudden movements while in his bag. He doest get huffy much at all anymore, he of course has his not so happy days to, especially with his quilling, but he is a happy baby overall! His second day home it took him over 20 minutes to uncurl and stop huffing. Every hedgie is different, and I would just listen to your babies body language and build up the trust through time and if course treats. Try to end every session on a good note when they are not upset, reward with a treat and then put them in their cage. This way they will recognize that being with you is a good thing, and not want to "escape" to "hide" from you in their cage. Its all about positive reinforcement, and for all critters, not just hedgies! :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Cheryl, it'd be a good idea to start your own thread. :) You're more likely to get help and responses than you are with posting on someone else's thread. If you don't know how to start one, go to a forum section, and up in the left hand corner is a "New Thread" button.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts