Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, just bought my first Hedgehog last night. Im very familiar with "exotic" pets as I have currently a Flying Squirrel, Chinchilla, Eastern Grey Squirrel, Monitor, Argentine Tegu and various other non-traditional pets. They do all get equal attention and time out.

I have done alot of research about hedgehogs before I bought one, but does anyone have tips that you may not find online? Right now he is kinda grumpy still, he makes a hissing sound when my hand goes in, and shifts his quills on his head towards me, but eventually comes up and sniffs and then goes on his way.

One important question I have is; Is wet cat food actually ok for them? I have had ferrets and alot of people think cat food is ok for ferrets when it really is not. Is is the same for hedgies? Or is it actually ok? Kitten or Cat?

I am feeding him wet Blue Buffalo: Wilderness (which is GREAT dog/cat food) Cat, Sunseed Sunscription Vita Hedgehog Formula and gave him a goliatch worm. Also gave him some "Bugs & Berries" for Squirrels/Birds. I will get some fruits soon. Pics to come soon too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of your new baby as well as pics of your other pets.

Dry food is preferred unless your hedgie has missing teeth. I've read on here that most hedgies prefer the dry food as well. If you check out the Health section there should be a list of recommended dry cat foods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks alot. Found some good info here already. I gave him one of my shirts to get him used to my scent. (Un-washed but not dirty haha).

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have 2 older hedgehogs who are missing a lot of teeth. They eat wet food--Fancy Feast salmon pate. I hear that most hedgehogs don't like it, but all but a couple of my 8 eat it if it is available. The downside is the poops are softer and lighter colored, and not as easy to clean up. The 2 who get wet food every night because if their teeth are constantly getting foot and tail baths because they walk or sit in soft poop.

I'm concerned the hedgehogs who eat wet food for nearly their whole diets don't get enough fiber. I'm unsure what to add to their food, though. Pumpkin? Acidophilus? Baby food rice?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have numerous elder hogs on soft diets. Instead of canned, they get the same kibble as everyone else dampened with water. Their poop is not any messier because of the soft food.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Congrats on the new hedgie, I can't wait to see pics :) Your other animals sound amazing too. I could be wrong but I think when I looked at the Blue Buffalo Wilderness it had a really high protein content on it compared to the Blue Buffalo on the recommened list thats around 30%. This is just from memory though so you know how that can go lol :)

Welcome to HHC to btw :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts