Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pinchita has always LOVED live mealworms but was never too fond of her freezedried ones but I kept them anyway... every once in a while I'll give her a freeze dried one and see if she takes it but shes ussually not interested, tonight however she suddenly became a mealie monster I gave her about 4-5 and she just wanted more she was sniffing all over the place looking for one :lol: . The reason I wanted her to eat the freezedried ones is so that she still has a treat...that I don't have to buy once a week, and that I have to keep from turning into lil' buggish things.
My question is...why is she all of a sudden lovin' the dead ones? she ussually only will eat the live ones. I'm not exactly worried but I am very curious.
shes eating all her food like usual, and she just pooped on me and it looks fine. :mrgreen:
so what could of caused this??? its hard to explain but she was litterally POUNCING on the dead mealies. when i first got them she tried one and spit a bit(or dropped) it out and walked away. and I scatter one in her cage sometimes too...its there in the morning.
hmmm... :|

·
Registered
902 Posts
Dunno. How much do you feed her of her regular food? If she's young maybe is growing and has an increased appetite.

What brand of food is she on?

Maybe she was just hungry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her food bowl is always full, and in the morning she usually has a little bit left, i count her kibble and she eats a lot so I know shes not starving.
shes on royal canin and natural balance.
she is gaining weight which I am thrilled about because shes just so skinny! not in a bad way, she has a "teardrop" shape, she just runs soooo much.
shes getting plumpier :D
shes still under400 grams but she has gained about 20 grams (so now is 370) :mrgreen:
anyway tonight I offered her one and she was not interested, atleast not like yesterday
also, I'll add, yesterday she was a lot more hyper then usual, crawling all over me. She usually just sits and tries to snuggle or play with my fingers. But yesterday she was a little on the party girl side.
I don't know.
Does your hedgie sometimes eve rrandomly love food he didn't like? I'm curious

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Mine is a little different and he might try something new and eat it pretty good the first night but then decide that he doesn't want it again. The things he trys never gives him a stomach upset he just won't touch it again. Its hard because of the waiting involved with each treat you try so since Ive only had him since October there is only a handful of things I've been able to try. I'm having a hard time finding a treat he likes besides live mealworms :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts