Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! I'm new here and new to hedgies!! I have two hedgies named Bella aka Bells, and Edward aka Ed. Bells is a champagne snowflake and Ed is a chocolate snowflake. I got them a few days ago from a breeder :) They are both absolutely gorgeous!!! Ed is a bit more friendly than Bells is and I can pick him up but not Bells. How can I get her to be a bit more tame?

Here are their pics!!

Dont mind the shavings in Bells' cage, I've since removed it and put in carefresh.

This is Edward my little friendly cutie!! He still balls up a LOT when I first pick him up, hence the towel, but he relaxes pretty much immediately after he's in my hands after :)

This is Bella, she's a bit more cranky but we're working on it :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC! Congrats on your new hedgies.

What "breeder" did you get them from. It may just be the pictures, but they don't look to be in absolutely fantastic shape.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I was wondering that too, especially the area around Bells eyes and the spot under her ear in the picture. They are beautiful hedgies though and welcome to HHC :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're from a pretty reputable area, and Bells had just did her foaming at the mouth thing a few minutes before the pic was taken. They both have bright clear eyes, nice solid poop, their quills are not dull or limp, and they dont sneeze or anything like that.

The shavings in the cage have been replaced by carefresh bedding and they werent used to shavings yet.. I'm not sure if the shavings had anything to do with why you think they look bad?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Nothing extremely, they just look a bit scruffy, and the female's ears look a bit tattered. You can definitely tell they've probably been kept on shavings and never seen a good wheel in their life. ;)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
That being said, I see a wire wheel in the cage as well...

Take that out immediately! Before one of them breaks a leg, or rip a toe nail out.

A good solid wheel is the way to go. For commercial wheels, a comfort wheel, or a flying saucer. Do not get the Silent spinner, as those are dangerous wheels as well.

For a non-pet store wheel, there's Larry to makes them and sells them
http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4844&start=0

As well as others. You can check the "for sale" section to find wheel makers. Or you can make those "bucket wheels" yourself at home as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have removed the wheel and in the morning I will be taking the wheel back to the pet store. I'm getting a solid wheel.. I hope those are a bit quieter at night. These two like to run and those ones are quite noisy at night, and you're right.. they dont look like they're the safest.

Bella's ears are a bit tattered. They have always been since I got her.

Edward's pic is a bit blurry but I dont see him as scruffy at all. I think he's the sweetest thing in the world. I can pick him up without problem. Bells on the other hand not so much. She's much quicker to ball up and she did so around my thumb the other day.. YEOWTCH!!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That's great to hear that they are getting better care than where you got them. I'm sure they'll be in good shape in no time. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts