Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my little Quilbur tomorrow! I seriously can't wait!! I joined this community a few months ago, and have learned a lot about my soon to be little buddy. My main concern is heating. I'm 17 and my family keeps the house between 68-70 in the winter. I am aware that they need to be at LEAST 72 degrees. Quilbur will be staying in my room. I have a space heater that has been keeping the room between 72-73. I have a digital thermometer with a receiver in his cage behind the igloo, but the cage has been sitting around 70 degrees. Would you guys recommend a CHE? I have looked into them and priced them with the thermostat. I have a kilowatt meter connected to my heater and light, and I am using almost 10 kilowatt hours a day! That's almost $1.25 a day!! Will the CHE keep the cage warmer? Would I be able to keep my room a little cooler, while still keeping the cage warmer? Do any of you have oil-filled heaters? I've looked into getting one of those. Also how can I calm his nerves on the ride home. It's a almost 3 hour drive!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yaaaaaaay for you! Welcome to the wacky world of hedgie parenting! When we brought our Pippin home, we had a small very portable pet holder that the breeder put some of its litter and paper towel that smelled like his old home. Our drive was an hour, and in think he shook the whole time. No worries, your little one will settle in nicely. As for the heat issue, yes, a CHE is pretty much a must in our northern climate, and will take all the worries away with a thermostat to maintain a constant temp. Read all you can on the forums (there's tons on heating) and you'll be fine. My daughter has Pippin in her room too, and cracks her window open at night, but he stays toasty warm with the CHE. Good luck! Postics when you can!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
What kind of cage do you have and how big is it? A CHE does use less energy than a space heater, so it'd probably be a good choice. You might need to do some insulating, if it's a very big or very open cage, to help hold heat in, and you might need two CHE lamps instead of just one, depending on the cage size. Getting the cage off the ground helps as well, if that's possible (since heat rises). Or you can put a thick quilt or a piece of styrafoam under the cage to help insulate from the bottom.

It'd be best to try to keep the cage closer to 73-74* if you can manage it. Most people aim for 75* as the usual temp, which works for most hedgehogs. I used an oil-filled space heater to keep my room to 74-76* in order to keep Lily's cage to her required temperature (78-81*). I really liked it, and I know Nancy recommends them too. They do a better job of keeping a steady temperature in the room, so they don't need to turn on & off as frequently and use as much power as a forced-fan heater. So I'd definitely check into that option as well, though keep in mind they're expensive! I would at least get a CHE set up first & see how that does on its own and then see if you'll need something else to help out. You might be just fine with a space heater since you shouldn't need the temp as high as what Lily needed (she was pretty temperature-sensitive).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Pandamom! And Lilysmommy, I am using two large, clear plastic totes taking up the entire top of one of my dressers. My intention is to keep the cage at that warmer temp with the CHE. I was going to get the equipment for that ordered soon. I have also been looking at the oil-filled ones. Mainly for the reason of a power outage. I have to push the power button back on for my current heater, then adjust the temp. If I had a oil-filled that has manual switches, I would have so much more peace-of-mind while I'm at school.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Make sure you check before buying one if you want one that will be able to turn back on automatically after an outage. I know Nancy has said that ones with internal digital thermostats usually don't turn back on after an outage. Ones with a rheostat usually do, so that's the kind you'll want to look at.

It'd be a better idea to get two lamps & bulbs so you can heat both bins. It's best to keep their whole habitat at one temperature rather than having one area warmer than another. Having that kind of gradient can cause a hibernation attempt. Honestly, with plastic bins, they hold heat in so well that you probably won't even need a space heater unless you really want one. I would think that a 100-watt CHE bulb per bin would be more than enough to keep them to the right temperature even if your room is 68-70*. You can get a 1000-watt Zilla thermostat, it has 3 outlets so you can plug both lamps into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts